funny question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sixshooterfarm, Oct 28, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I am getting a pig to raise for a little bit and put in the freezer, I dont have alot of land but plan on keeping the pig as far away from the goats as possible. But we all know how plans go, they never work! Is there any concern of pigs being near goats and goats being near pigs? I have heard some horror stories and just want to ask before I bring this thing home!!

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Pigs can kill a goat. they are very mean (or should i say CAN be).

I would make sure they are FAR away from each other.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    My aunt and uncle sometimes raise pigs up for slaughter. The pigs have their own pen/shelter, etc. But were sometimes let out into the pasture (the pasture where the goats go). I didn't let them stay together because pigs (or at least the ones they had) were very pushy, bossy, and BIG! I don't let kids (four-legged or two-legged) with them. One of the pigs ran across the pasture towards my little sister and nearly knocked her down! My mom scooped her up really quick. But I've heard too many horror stories to trust putting goats and pigs together. That's just from our experience though.

4. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    When we had pigs there were a couple times when they got out, but they never bothered the goats any, but its true that some piggies can have a temper and do damage.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Piggles....the one I ate...stayed in a stall in the goat barn at night and was let out with the goats thru the day...now this was BEFORE she hit 50#....after that she started getting nasty with me so I didn't trust her with my goats....though Bootsie did nail her pretty good a few times. I kept her in a small pen til she hit 6 months old...and about 200#...not very big but too big for me to feed over the winter.

6. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    There is a lady on another forum that I'm on that had baby lambs in a pen next to her pigs, and they pulled the lambs thru the fence and ate them! Pigs are omnivorous (sp?), and they'll eat whatever they can when their hungry.

I knew some people that had a boer cross that kidded about a month ago, and they had the momma and baby in with their potbellied pigs. They called me and told me that the goat had kidded, and I asked them where they had the mom and baby at, and when they told me, I told her to go out and get them away from the pigs as fast as they could. She commented that the pigs had seemed really interested when the doe was kidding, and that they had let the pigs clean up the afterbirth :shocked:. They went out to separate the goats, and the pigs where already chasing and snapping at the baby! Thankfully they got out there in time. They had lost some baby chicks to the pigs, but didn't think that they would go after goats.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i hate pigs.. pigs will eat anything.. living or not

thats why if you want to plan a murder.. kill the person and get pigs.. no traces will ever be found

haha

8. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    ... Well that could explain some of my missing chickens...

9. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Oh gosh you guys, no no no , that big will never ever be in the same pen or share a fence line with my goats, no no no, I know how nasty they are. What I meant was, is there a worm issue or something in their poop that can bother goats? I know that at our county fair, they were putting the goats in the pig barns and were loosing goats of an unknown illness. THats what I meant lol. Oh I would never trust a pig!!

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't think it's a worm or disease issue Six Shooter....some farmers are known to run pigs thru a pasture AFTER other livestock...seems they clean up alot....and pigs can be given the injectible ivomect to prevent any internal as well as external critters.

11. Candy

Candy New Member

SDK :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: I can just see you standing there, all inocent, before the judge. "Who me? Never" :shrug:
    Candy :sun:

12. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    It's important to teach children while they are still young about all the hazards to be found around the farmyard.
    [​IMG]

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have 2 pot belly pigs out with my goats on 6 acres. They do fantastic out there. From my experience, I don't believe they can't get any worms from the pigs...it might be possible, but if you worm them regularly, I doubt there would be a problem. I know someone who kept her nigis with her pigs for years and years and never had health problems with the goats.

My piggies are extremely sweet and never had attempted to hurt the goats or their babies. But they are extremely nice pigs. I have heard of some real nasty big farm pigs being food aggressive and just plain mean and trying to bite other animals though.

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Bob....I really have to say that is a very cute piccie! I can just imagine what that childs mother did too....believe it or not but piggies are fairly clean animals
    :wink:

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh my! creaturesall! that pic is hilarious

16. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I think it is silly to hate an animal for being what it is.

creaturesall: That is one of the grossest :sick: things I have ever seen . :)

17. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Rebel:

Don't hate that child for being what he is :thumb:

Actually, pigs are amongst the cleanest animals around. Maybe not kissable clean, but clean nonetheless. Heck, there are days my wife would far rather kiss a pig than lil' ol' me :sun:

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i raised like 6 pigs at one time.. they are disgusting.. and they eat their poo.. eww.

19. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Hey SDK baby horses eat their moms poo, I have seen baby goats do the same, for cryin out loud my son used to play in the litter box!! Of course the first time I saw that I just about had a heart attack and kitties went outside!! lol. The pig will be in his own pen, but I just wanted to make sure I wasent jeapordizing my goatees!

20. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    As do dogs, calves, (yes, and goats too) and a multitude of other critters.
    Without getting too preachy here, it is my thinkin' that all creatures are put here on earth purposefully.
    To label any entire species as mean, or disgusting or useless is a philosophy that can come back to haunt us.
    I read somewhere that the Creator is just as concerned with the sparrow as with us.
    It probably wouldn't hurt us to give all creatures a little slack.

[​IMG]
    ( I do hafta admit I'm a little confused :scratch: regarding the mosquitoes' place in the overall scheme of things )