The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my little sisters friends won a rabbit at the county fair 2 or 3 weeks ago and gave it to another one of my sisters friends for her birthday. Well their mom let them keep it but wants to get rid of it so I might end up with her, but for right now they left a week ago for vacation and wanted me to take care of her while they were gone so they brought her to me.

They came back last Thursday and we told them they can come get her then but they haven't came yet. Today i went and checked on her and she has started to make a nest of fur. Its been 5 years since I stopped breeding rabbits and i remember some stuff but not everything, how long after she makes her nest does she actually have them? Isn't it only a few days? I didn't really want to keep her for good at first but they have no idea how to take care of them and i don't want the little 10 year old girl and her 5 and 7 year old younger sisters to have to deal with babies dying if they don't do something right, i would hate that, you know? :( I might can see if they want me to keep her then after she has the kits and they are a few months old then give them a baby or babies but I'm going to make sure they are all the same sex so they won't have to worry about in unwanted babys. I didn't really like the idea of moving her back to their place if she is this close to having them. What do y'all think would be best to do? What age can they be weaned? How close is she? Will i need a heat lamp, its around 40F at night and 60F during the day here now. They are in a off the ground rabbit cage with a open place with just wire and the plywood roof and one end is covered all the way around all sides and top and bottom with plywood where she can go in and out and that part has hay in it, also where she has made her nest.

That's crazy that the fair people do that, just let someone take home a pregnant rabbit without telling the person it could be bred, who most of the time doesn't even want that rabbit let alone the other ten it has in its belly. Grrr drives me crazy and it happens here all the time. Sorry had to rant a little.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think im just going to keep her, or at least a few weeks after she has them. I just put more hay in the open part for her to use if she wanted it and she moved into her little house part then was trying to drag her food bowl in there for some reason, it wouldn't fit but she kept trying to force it in the whole time i was out there lol. :) Im not sure what breed she is, probably a mix, but she's got floppy ears and she's grey.

·
Registered
871 Posts
She could have her litter any time between now and a couple/few days.

Is there something solid under the nest so the kits don't fall through the cage? Is she in a nest box? Shredded newspaper is really good for nesting.

They will open their eyes around 10 days old, try climbing out of their box around 14 days old. If one climbs out, take them all out of the box so they can stay together and the one out of the box doesn't get cold and die.

They can be weaned around 6 weeks old.

They should not need a heat lamp at those temps, but if it drops much lower, I'd put one on them for a week or two.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Good luck, keep us posted on her and your new babies.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you :)

She hasn't added to her pile of fur today and no sign of babies yet. The place her nest is in is about 2ft x 2ft and plywood on all the sides and the bottom is the wire that is about 1cm x 1cm squares or smaller, there is a hole cut in one wall so she can go to the open wire part. Then I packed the closed in part with about 3-5 inches of horse hay, she dug out a spot so that it doesn't have much hay there then she put the hair there. She kept flipping over the other food bowl when i got her so i replaced it with a 1ft wide circle plastic pan and she won't flip it over but she likes sitting in it and is lately been trying to put it in the little nest area side. Is she just wanting to have a solid bottom place without hay or wire, and just her fur to have them? Im going to put a box in there and see if she wants to move her pile into there by herself, I'm scared about messing her up so i won't touch the fur pile. (This is probably really confusing and way too long sorry)

Another thing is before she started the fur pile she wouldn't let me touch her and would dart inside the covered part when she saw someone coming. But since the day she started making her nest she has let me pet her and hasn't even tried to bite me in a while. :D I didn't like her much because of her attitude but now she's growing on me.

Its been forever since the last time Ive had baby rabbits, those cute little naked rat looking babies jumping around in a pool of fur. Haha, i can't wait. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:( well there goes my baby plans.

They came and got her today, they are going to keep her inside now so I think she will be fine. I still don't like the thought of moving her when she is this close but i went into town and they called and told me that they were almost to my house and ready to get her. They left her nest in the cage but it wasn't much and I guess she will just pull more out.

Thank you for yalls help :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well, you did a good job while you had her. I hope they know how to take care of her and the kits. It concerns me that they would take her at this time, with her due any day and having already built a nest. Let's hope for the best.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My sister told me that her friend said she had 8 babies but 2 died, 1 is weak and they think its going to die and another is a tiny runt. :( But the other 4 and the mama are doing really good. Im just glad they knew she was about to have them and tried to take care of them other than it just being a surprise. I've tried to see if they would let me help them out but my parents said it would be best to just stay out of it. :( I guess since this is their first time raising baby rabbits its not going to be perfect, but I still wish I could have done a little more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts