Fur rubbed off on neck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lawanda, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I was just down petting the goats and noticed that Hope's neck has a couple bald spots, one big one smaller, it looked like to me.

why would that be? She also seemed jumpy, cuz she normally lets you pet her, but she kept jumping away. Of course, I think she has been more like that since she got pregnant... not sure if I am imagining that or not, though...

Anyway, I will try to get a pic of her neck later, but thought I would see if you all might know if there is something wrong with her or something??

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is it possible that she could be rubbing on something?

I noticed that 2 of my does have bald spots in different areas and eventually found that they got them by being IN the hayrack to eat.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

does she wear a nylon or lether coller? Sometimes the rub. She could also be itching on something in her pen rubbing out the hair. This could be an indication of lice or dry skin.
    beth

4. A pic might help. Is she itching? Could she be lacking something in her diet? If she is itching or it may be skin related the Synergize is great for skin stuff as well as lice. I have cleared two cases of mange with it since I started using it on a dog etc.

5. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I didn't get a chance to get a pic today. I will try tomorrow.

She has actually seemed like she has been itchy since she got pregnant...

But this is the first I have noticed the bald spots.

What is mange?

She hasn't worn a collar since she got bred. She mostly stays out in the field, where there are plenty of trees to rub on... But I don't know why she would suddenly get bald spots. They are rough feeling, but I did not see any sores or blood or anything like that...

I will try to get a pic tomorrow.

6. Well, if she is itching since she got pregnant it could be a lack of something in her diet or to much of something, I would go with a lack of though. It could be mites/lice or an alergy?

Mange. Mites in dogs are medically referred to as mange or canine scabies. You can read more on it here.

http://www.mange-in-dogs.com/

Do a search in Google for mange photos and you can see what it might look like in all stages.

By the what you are discribing it sounds like it could be more an alergy or mites. If you get some Synergize and put it down her neck and back with a syringe, not so much it rolls into her eyes on the neck, it should clear this right up. Hope that helps.

7. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ok, I sprayed them three with the synergize today.

I have a question. Some of it rolled down their backs and onto the floor. Do I need to clean out the stall and not let them eat in there now? Cuz they tend to eat the hay that falls on the ground, too. They are eating in that stall right now...

I finally got some pics. The hair is starting to grow back a bit now, and neither of the other two goats have any bald spots. so I am not sure if they all have lice or mites or anything, but it was recommended to me to spray them all three. (By the girl I bought them from :) )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Yes, you can spray it, I would make sure I do it all down the back. If it is rolling off, get a rubber glove and rub it in, or get closer to the skin. I use a syringe and if it is not down the back I get a glove and do just that. When it is put down the back, the idea is to have it roll down thoughout the coat, that is why you want it to be on the skin. You do not need a glove if you wash your hands very good and avoid your face until cleaned.

As for will a few drops hurt them, no. If you drop the whole bottle or huge amount is spilt, that it different. However, an amout is injested anyway, if they lick or bite at themselves a little. You should be fine.