Fussy little devils.....

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Trace, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Before I got goats - I heard it all - they eat anything - they will clean up after your horse etc etc.

I can;t believe how fussy these little devils are. They leave LOADS of hay - and I can;t believe how much they waste and turn their noses up at? :shocked:

I can;t wait for the horse to get here becuase I know that he isn;t fussy and will vacuum up downed hay. :horse:

Am I giving them too much - is that why they are being picky?

I feed them via hay bags that I get from the UK - they are slow feeding hay back with small holes that they can;t get their heads into. I put about a half a flake in between two bags. They are heavy flakes.

:hair:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You probably are feeding to much....back off on the amount of hay you give....don't make it free choice.....try feeding them 2x a day......

Goats don't eat everything ....it is a wives tale....LOL.. if it gets pee'd on steped on...ect....they won't touch it.... sometimes if another goat touched it with there mouth ...they won't eat it either.....

May I ask... what kind of hay you are feeding them?

3. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Its a first cut grass mix - it is stemmier than I would like - but I have 50 bales to use so it won't be changed any time soon.

I was told that free choice was the bext way to feed them....

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goats are picky and waste hay -- thats their number one trait in the world! LOL

by feeding 2xs a day you will find that they eat more of their hay on average.

Now if you dont mind the waste then free choice is a good way to go.

I only feed mine twice a day

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I found with my goats... that stemmier isn't popular.....but ...if that is all you have.. then....you have no choice.....

Feeding free choice....you are right is good...unless they gain to much.... but... as you mentioned ......you are having trouble getting them to eat it without waste.......that is why........ I suggest ........maybe feeding them 2 x a day......... so they will be hungrier for that feed ...so there isn't as much waste... :wink:

6. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Thanks.

Now how do I know how much to feed?

I feed horses by weight - clueless on goats.

They are in a 100 x 30 pen - it has grass for now (until the horse gets here) - loads of leaves coming down and they do nibble on leaves and weeds.

They also get a big handfull of grain am and pm - and tehy are VERY offended if they dont; get it. LOL

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Depends on the breed and age, size, or stage of production they are in. If they are growing mini's, mine get 1/2 flake in the am and the rest in the pm, lactating or preggy mini's get a full flake twice a day. Bucks get a flake 2x a day as well.

The less choice they have as far as how much they waste, it tends to make them pick up what they drop if they are hungry enough.

8. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    They get more fussy when they are well fed ...like free choice. Also if you feed grain they tend to pick at the hay more. Put a hay feeder in their shed/barn and what falls to the ground is just more bedding. I compost old wasted hay so I don't feel the "pain" so much. Also it is good mulch for the veg garden.

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF GOATS! They are the pickiest animals I have ever encounter......but I love them so much! Mine have the best mixed grass 2nd and 3rd cut hay and they still pick and waste it......like Mully said, the waste becomes bedding for them or I collect some of it for the chickens. I have tried stemmy 1st cut hay and you would have thought I were killing them.

10. jesse300

jesse300 Guest

Oct 28, 2009
    As a few others have said the better you feed them the picker they become.

There digestive system is wasteful. They can only pull so much nurturance out of there feed and the rest gets wasted.