Future looks good for goat prices

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by dvfreelancer, Mar 15, 2010.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes.. we are seeing prices changing ...to higher too....here in California.... :thumbup:

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Goat prices here are not 2 dollars a pound last I looked I was at a sale barn last wed. and they sold 4 does with twins for 50 dollars for the outfit. Then 5 big yearling does for $110 a peice and they were 130 pounds.

4. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    There is such a price diffance back east and here in california that if I was a small time grower I would look at finding others to go in with you and ship out here to CA. I talked to a goat rancher yesterday that goes to TX and buys cheap then hauls them out here for a fast sell.

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i think what we need to realize is that the $2 a pound doesn't go for just any run of the mill goat. most auction animals IMO aren't worth 2 bucks a pound, but i can see spending 4-5 dollars a pound on a really nice primed out goat. so you have to add the animals condition and overall muscling and weight when you look at the prices they're getting.

The US has been importing a ton of meat for a looooong time, and its because the places that have high "goat eating" populations are in general not close to where the goats are grown

6. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    One of the reasons I got goats was paying $90 for shipping to get goat meat from CA. There's exactly one ethnic market in all of the Memphis area that carries goat meat and those chuckleheads ripped me off when I was buying meat there. The piece you picked out and the one that came out cut up in bags were not the same pieces. I was going to offer them a deal to supply them with meat, but not after that.

We have one small slaughter house that takes goats but they won't sell you any. The owner is middle eastern and will only sell to people he knows. I was going take a thermos of tea in there one day and see if I could get him to modulate his attitude. But I guess if I was mid-eastern in Western TN, I might not be particularly welcoming either.

If you want processed goat meat here you have to slaughter it yourself and field dress it, then take it to the one single meat store for 50 miles that will accept a goat. It's a freaking nightmare. I've built up a call list of buddies whenever I process a goat. It's like a drug deal. They're buying out of the back of my truck, paying cash. Hey, man, can you score me a shoulder and some chops? Sure, but no USDA cops.

I bet you could sell a lot more goat if it was carried in stores. One of these days I'm going to get ambitious and open a specialty meat store.

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We have found that most ethnic buyers actually prefer to buy live & process it themselves.
    Alot of cultures do not have a long history of refridgeration.

No plants around here will do goat unless you take all the extras with you because there are no rendering trucks that take goat leftovers.
    The one place that did 3 for us screwed up the order so bad it'd make your head spin.
    They didnt charge for it but all we got was about 40lbs (ground & brats) out of a 145lb animal hanging, needless to say they're not getting any more of our business! :veryangry:

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i never sold my goats on the rack.. always on the hoof. I live in a big mexican population, so i got 125 a piece, which worked out to about 2.50 a pound.

9. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    On another forum I frequent this was a topic a while back Kansas seems to be where the thisis going on. He was thinking about replacing his cow/calf operation with a goat production program.

10. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    The lowest price this weekend at the sale barn where I work was $1.90 lb. We have a couple major goat buyers who have contracts and ship the goats out west.

11. LomaVerdeBoers

LomaVerdeBoers New Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Az.
    I have seen that, ($2 lb.) around Az., but only for quality goats. The biddings been getting a little crazy at the auction barn for anything Boer especially babies. I made a trip last Friday to meet a gal in Gallup, New Mexico to pick up 20 billies for resale. She came down from Colorado and said the market for them there was not very good, they are more Dairy oriented.

12. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    We are members of the Oregon Meat Goat Producers. The pool buyer in our area pays $1.10/lb. Has not changed in the three years we've been raising goats. Anything we sell off the farm we get $1.25. A few days ago talked to a guy who just got $1.35 from a buyer. I'd love to see goats selling for $2.00/lb around here. Not holding my breath though.

13. LomaVerdeBoers

Oct 4, 2009
    Az.
    Sold a couple this morning for $2.65 lb. :cool: That's about as good as it's gotten over the last year. They were all boers averaging 70lbs. each

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is terrific....congrats... :cool: :applaud: :hi5: :greengrin:

15. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Are you all talking about on the live weight or carcass pricing

16. LomaVerdeBoers

Oct 4, 2009
    Az.
    I'm talking live weight. I assume everyone else is also :shrug: .

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes .... :wink: :greengrin:

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Here I can charge $2.50 a pound up to $2.75 per pound and still sell them easily, big ethic population in Anchorage who will come out and butcher. they want to see nice goats, in condition, healthy and they know what theyre doing, glad I got the really great, dependable buyers :)

4-H market goats can go $4 to $7 per pound, lots of marketing involved though, I dont do the auction just sell extra 90-100lb kids to the Kenyans and Samoans

19. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Where have I seen that link before? :whatgoat: