Galen pulls a sled!

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by Paige, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Galen has started pulling a sled! He started training to cart in the spring of 2009 when he was a baby, started pulling a cart summer 2010, and I just tried hooking him up to a sled on Tuesday! He is doing so well. I can drive him in the cart, but I'm not sure about the sled yet, so for now I am just leading him. Got some pics but I will have post them later. I am in love with this wether! :love:

2. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Awesome! :clap: Yes, please post pics! I wanna' see.

Believe it or not, we actually got snowed on today! Here in the Valley of the Sun, that's a rarity. In the 30+ years I've lived here, I've only seen it snow 3 times before today. My goaties hated it! Might as well have been raining battery acid. They're not used to cold weather. <lol>

Deb Mc

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is terrific....pics please..... :wink: :thumb:

4. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics of Galen!
    Sorry it took so long, but I didn't get how to put pics on. Found out though! Hope you like the pics. :)

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    handsome ober wether :)

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    very nice ....lookin good...... :thumb: :wink:

7. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    What a cutie. I think I may have to get Oberhaslis too.......how many different breeds can we get...lol....

8. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    What a good goat! Handsome, too!

How do you keep the sled from ramming into the back of him when he's pulling?

Deb Mc

9. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    DebMc - From my experience with cart ponys unless you have the breeching strap (Breaks) on the cart/wagon/sled will run into the animal pulling it unless you are on level ground of course.

10. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    peggy- Yes Oberhaslis are awsome! Just a side note, they are not a new breed, they are Swiss Alpines with a new reg. name, and I love them You should really get one!
    DebMc- I dont really have a way to stop the sled, I just used really long traces (things he pulls the cart with) so that it did not bump into him. But on my cart I have a brake/stop system. Plus we are just working on level ground so He does not really need anything. How is your wether doing?

11. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    We're waiting on our new harness to arrive. In the meantime, we continue working on voice cues on lead. Our cart has a foot break, too. We've learned the hard way that a good proper-fitting harness is a must, one that has real shaft loops.

Your lucky to have level ground to work on. Our roads out here are rough, dirt or gravel and choked full of pot holes. Two sections of our property are pretty good to use but even they are full of rocks and dips.

Deb Mc

12. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    That's cool that he can pull a sled! It'll be awesome to tell your friends that you have the ability to dash in a one-goat open sleigh!