The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
We bought one to milk in and my dad promptly told me that the galvanizing is extremely poisonous and will leach out into anything in the bucket. Glad he told us before we actually used it. I would think water would be the same. We water in old protein tubs from the cows.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you soooo much for that IMPORTANT info!!! The reason I ask the question was because I thought I heard something about it being poisonous but want sure....now I know!!! Thanks again!!
Misty

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I'm thinking that is an old wives tale. We've fed many a bucket calf with a galvanized bucket and not a one ever died. We have also milked many a cow into a galvanized bucket and we are all still here. I can't say that I ever used a galvanized bucket for water but it sure wasn't because I was afraid of it poisoning my goats, it was because it wasn't big enough to provide water for at least a 24 hour period.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
It's not a tale for sure. My DH is a fabricator and has suffered from poisoning from galvanized metal more than once. When welding on galvanized metal, the smoke is so deadly that he must wear a gas mask.
It does take time for the zinc to seep but, if the galvanized finish is damaged in anyway it will seep much faster.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Welding is a lot different than milking or watering an animal. Any time one is welding there are poisonous gases released. Sorry, but I don't buy it.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Well, you can talk to him. The first time he got it was from pulling fence at a dairy. He's had it several times over his life and almost never heats galvanized since the tanks he builds are painted.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have no desire to talk to him. I and my family have used galvanized tanks for years with no problems. I have 2 galvanized tanks in my goat pens right now that I've used for 6 years with no problems. If they were leaching poisonous substances into the water I would have known by now as the does have been drinking out of these tanks for years.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have no desire to talk to him. I and my family have used galvanized tanks for years with no problems. I have 2 galvanized tanks in my goat pens right now that I've used for 6 years with no problems. If they were leaching poisonous substances into the water I would have known by now as the does have been drinking out of these tanks for years.
Lets keep it friendly. Everyone has their own opinions. You may not think its poisonous because you haven't had problems. That's fine. That doesn't mean someone else hasn't had problems with it. It's like everything. Some people have problems, some don't.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Interesting... I showed my mom that article Goathiker, since one of my cousins is having a hard time keeping his herd of mini sheep healthy. I suspect it's part diet, and worms as well as yep you guessed it, he uses big galvanized containers to water in... He hasn't been changing the water daily either, so most likely if they are drinking the water then too much zinc... I spoke to him tonight since he called for advice since I've got 2 sheep Smith & Wesson, and they are healthy buggers:) I didn't however read this article until a few minutes ago..., so I will be calling him in the AM.. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Ugh well he's down to 3 now, he had 10. He might be bringing them here... Yikes!! He is working on getting rid if the galvanized water tanks, replacing with plastic buckets, worming them, and feeding them hay, instead of bread. He might just bring the remaining 3 here, which isn't good, I don't have the room in my barn... If he decides to go this route I need to quarantine them... So I'm hoping he get this straightened out. I also passed Happybleats electrolyte mix, and he's going to drench them all...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Lets keep it friendly. Everyone has their own opinions. You may not think its poisonous because you haven't had problems. That's fine. That doesn't mean someone else hasn't had problems with it. It's like everything. Some people have problems, some don't.
Perhaps you could tell me where I was unfriendly? I'm simply stating facts - nothing more.

·
Registered
572 Posts
It just seemed a little tense hen you said that you have no desire to talk to her dad I think it was. In addition, I can tell everyone is wry passionate about this topic and there is a lot of good information out there. If it works for you great, but it doesn't mean it is the same for other people. There are a lot of different manufacturers of galvanized items, therefore a lot of different materials and some could be more toxic than others. We just don't know :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts