The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 508 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know at least some of you are getting started on your gardening for the year. I am always so excited to get my hands in the dirt again, so thought I'd create a thread where anyone who wants to can share their growing plans, garden photos, etc.
I got 3 new raised beds this year, so I'm excited to fill them up with good stuff. I've already planted potatoes and onions. I have several different herbs, greens, veggies, and flowers sprouting in seed trays that I started inside and now am taking outside during the day since the weather is nice.
I am going to experiment with container herb gardens inside the goat and maybe also the chicken pen this year, so they can 'self medicate', so I've started a bunch of herbs to use for that.
Here's a photo of my baby calendula sprouts. I was so excited when they popped up! My calendula didn't do well last year, but I'm going to grow it in a better spot this year.
Plant Flower Leaf Terrestrial plant Houseplant

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
2,799 Posts
So nice to see some green! We just got hit by spring like a freight train this week. Went from being in the 10s to being in the 50s and 60s. I don't even have my starters going yet! That's what I'm doing today. I got pretty sick last spring and then spent the rest of the summer trying to catch up and my garden turned into a jungle. Hoping for a better year this year!

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
My son has taken over the garden this year. I am not complaining; it frees me up to spend more time with the goats.
Besides, at almost 70 my husband and I have a harder time bending over.
He has ordered so many seeds I have lost track of everything he is planting. Lots of heritage stuff.
He has peas and other things started in a grow house he built in the barn this winter. He has been through such a hard year this seems like good therapy for him.
I am pretty sure I will need to find more canning jars. Tomatoes, squash, beans etc.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes its my favorite time of year!. I have just planted out my tomatoes and squash and peppers!.
You must have an earlier spring than I do! I won't be planting anything except kale and spinach out for at least a month. We are planning to do a large pumpkin/squash patch this year. I would like to have more squashes to feed to the animals. The goats especially love them.
So nice to see some green! We just got hit by spring like a freight train this week. Went from being in the 10s to being in the 50s and 60s. I don't even have my starters going yet! That's what I'm doing today. I got pretty sick last spring and then spent the rest of the summer trying to catch up and my garden turned into a jungle. Hoping for a better year this year!
Man, sorry you were sick last year! That is no fun! I do hope this year is better for you. Your expression of spring being like a freight train made me chuckle. I have seasonal allergies, and actually felt kinda like I was hit with a freight train a few days ago. Fortunately, the allergy symptoms have subsided and I feel like I can do stuff again.
Starting my seeds tomorrow. Greenhouse is built, just busy filling it with soil and compost. Everything will be grown in greenhouse this year. Free range chickens and garden don't mix. Lol. Doing squash, green beans, cucumber, peppers, onions, tomatoes and potatoes.
Oh, I want a green house! You are right, free range chickens will really destroy a garden. I have found some creative ways to work that, but may end up just fencing the garden off one day.
We have already planted onion sets and some blackberry and blueberry plants. And we have a lot of seeds started in the house right now.
Sounds like fun! I just mulched my blackberries on Saturday, and was excited to see all the leaf buds forming!
My garden is greening up nicely, with many plants in bloom already. Unfortunately I have not planted anything yet. It is all weeds. Weeds as far as the eye can see. Weeds and a few things that did not get harvested that are re-sprouting, such as red cabbage, kohlrabi, chard, and the odd carrot.
I get excited about plants that come back on their own. That's one of my favorite things about herbs. They are very tough! I also have orach and borage popping up in the garden right now. Some of your weeds may be good goat food...I have been looking at weeds differently since I got my goats. Whatever the case, it is nice to see GREEN after the brown and white of winter.
I'm so behind with starting seeds. I did start cherry tomatoes to put in hanging baskets. We want to add another raised bed this year.
Hanging baskets sounds like a good way to do tomatoes. I am usually behind on seed starting. This is the first year I actually got seeds started inside sort of when I wanted to.
My son has taken over the garden this year. I am not complaining; it frees me up to spend more time with the goats.
Besides, at almost 70 my husband and I have a harder time bending over.
He has ordered so many seeds I have lost track of everything he is planting. Lots of heritage stuff.
He has peas and other things started in a grow house he built in the barn this winter. He has been through such a hard year this seems like good therapy for him.
I am pretty sure I will need to find more canning jars. Tomatoes, squash, beans etc.
Sounds like you'll have a lovely garden!
I used to work at an organic farm, and planting season was kinda rough. I would spend about 6 or 7 hrs. a day bending and stooping. My back and the muscles in my upper legs would be in so much pain for the first few days, then I'd get used to it. I like the smaller scale family garden, that isn't quite so demanding!

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
That’s great that some of you can already plant things out!! How exciting!
I have trays indoors since February: onions, celery, cilantro, hot peppers are just popping up…
Our safe planting out date is June 1, except for the cold hardy stuff.
I always get so excited about planting when the catalogs come in December/January.
By June I usually am already overwhelmed. 😛

·
Registered
Boots´ #1 Fan
2,582 Posts
So exciting to see everyone’s garden pictures! This is a great thread idea! We started our garden a few days ago in the kitchen. This year we’re trying to start some of the plants off in little planters, until we put them in the garden. Anyone have any tips for a successful water melon? We’ve tried for years and they never seem to turn out.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
So exciting to see everyone’s garden pictures! This is a great thread idea! We started our garden a few days ago in the kitchen. This year we’re trying to start some of the plants off in little planters, until we put them in the garden. Anyone have any tips for a successful water melon? We’ve tried for years and they never seem to turn out.
We had our first successful watermelons last summer in raised beds. We put the goats’ bedding in the bottom half of the raised beds, then soil on top. They seemed to love that.

·
Registered
706 Posts
@Cedarwinds Farm yes im in zone 8b.. we have had westher be 28 one day.. and then 70 the next lol southeast texas.. its been up in the 70 alot already so i felt brave enough to plant.. its too warm for me to do kale i think i do have a nice broccolli growing in the yard! Lol in February i lost my greenhouse.. ad wind storm.. plants got blown everywhere.. a broccoli seed must have spilled and survived now i have a 8 inch tall plant just randomly in the yard. And lucky for me the goats dont like the brassica leaves lol.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My garden is greening up nicely, with many plants in bloom already. Unfortunately I have not planted anything yet. It is all weeds. Weeds as far as the eye can see. Weeds and a few things that did not get harvested that are re-sprouting, such as red cabbage, kohlrabi, chard, and the odd carrot.
Atleast its green! 😅

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The garden this morning! We're getting some nice rains, which should bring out the sprouts.
Last year, I left some orach to reseed, and it is popping up everywhere. I'll go through in a couple weeks and thin it out. But I love low maintenance plants that grow without any help and are also pretty purple.
Plant Purple Terrestrial plant Wood Twig

My herbs are looking good! The wormwood, sage, thyme, and hyssop never did die back fully.
Plant Land lot Grass Groundcover Grass family

Plant Plant community Flower Terrestrial plant Groundcover

Plant Ingredient Leaf vegetable Fines herbes Terrestrial plant

Baby oreganos. I went a little overboard with oregano last year. I think I have 4 different types. I'm not sure if they're all 'true' oregano or not, but they're pretty and the pollinators love them.
Flower Plant Botany Leaf Terrestrial plant

Brown Terrestrial plant Twig Wood Grass

This basil seed is older, so I planted a bunch because I didn't know how well it would germinate. Well, it germinated!
Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Plant Food

1 - 20 of 508 Posts