The Goat Spot Forum banner
461 - 480 of 485 Posts

·
Registered
I am every where you can’t escape I know your Whereabouts I see you when your sleeping so Why hide
2,021 Posts
So, I was super excited about the tomatoes starting, but it was short lived. They are not doing so well this year
But my zucchini and purslane are abundant
I have learned my gardening skills need help in case of a SHTF scenario. Lol
I was so exited for mine to I had 2 and then as soon as they were almost ready we’ll they all failed

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
On my good tomato years, I like to cut them into chunks (usually the romas) and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and then roast them. Then scrape everything into a quart bag and freeze. They add a lot of flavor to stews or soups that way. I’ll blend them w/ sautéed onion and garlic and some stock (whatever kind i have frozen, beef, chicken/duck, goat) and make home made tomato soup for the kids. I never buy it cus it had corn syrup in it. Lol
Sometimes I add in carrots or celery as well.

You can also make a large crockpot full of marinara sauce and freeze in containers for spaghetti sauce.

I don’t can either so I’ve always frozen tomato products. Lol

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
If you have a dehydrator, you can make your own sun-dried tomatoes. Cut the small tomatoes in half, the large ones in several rounds. Add basil, oregano, and salt. Dry them in the oven on low heat, or a dehydrator, or the sun, until they're chewy and don't feel wet anymore. You don't want them to be completely hard, though. Then you can either bag them and freeze them, or can them in oil.

461 - 480 of 485 Posts