Garden Goodies

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sweetgoats, Oct 14, 2008.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am about done with the garden this year and I would like to turn the goats loose in it.

we have always turned them loose before and have never had any trouble but this year we goat a LOT more things then we have ever before.

So can goats eat Cabbage? They do eat some because my DH was throwing it to them, but now i have a bunch, plus I was worried about them bloating from the gas in cabbage.

We planted Hot peppers, green peppers, red Pepper, squash, (all kinds of gourds) cucumbers, Beets, turnips, corn, onions (wow do goats LOVE onions), beans, peas.

In the other garden, we have Rhubarb, I know they can not have that, but we have all kids of spices, and different kinds of lettuce,,

Thanks.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have offered mine cabbage before, but they just trample it...all the other stuff except of course the rhubarb, should be fine with them...and if you do have aglutton with the cabbage, just keep your baking soda handy.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do have several different places with baking soda. Mine just LOVE the cabbage. They fight over it like crazy. I was just wondering, do you think I should pull it before I turn them loose? There are like 20 different plants.

4. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    You could pick the cabbage, and put it somewhere where they can't get to it, and then just gradually feed it to them as treats or something over the next couple of days, so that way they won't go eat ALL of it right away, and get sick, if you think its a problem.

I do know that potatoe vines are bad for them though. But other than that I think what you have planted seems ok, but I don't have any idea about peppers..

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, what Amos said...too much cabbage...and broccoli too can cause troubles. One of my girls got a little bloated after eating too many broccoli plants...she's fine, but from now on I am rationing out the broccoli...I should have know better before because the same thing happens to me when I eat too many cruciferous veggies...lol...