gardening

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by countryboy, Mar 10, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    So, does anyone plant a garden? Can ya'll tell me how to keep the cats from using it as a litter box?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    we do a garden... we plant

potatoes (yukon gold), cabbage (os cross), carrots, squash, onions, peas, spinach, celery, lettuce.

and then we have a mini orchard, with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and apple trees. (fenced in becuase we have goats!)

our cat never goes in there, he is either in the outside hunting, or inside.

yep.

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Put your coffee grounds in the dirt, they hate that. Try some cayenne pepper too. I think there's more, google it! :greengrin:

4. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
  5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    No problem, and good luck to you. :thumbup:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very difficult, we havent been successful. The ground is softer so they like it I guess :shrug:

7. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    yeah i tried having a garden once and my cats dug it up LOL

8. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Have ya thought about getting a dog that doesn't like cats? Works for me :thumb:

9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well unfortunatly Bob, seems alot of dogs like laying in plant beds and making a nice bed out of smooshed plants :wink:

10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I keep the ground wet. They hate scratching in wet soil. That, and I lay chicken wire on the ground before the plants come up. They don't like to dig through the fine wire.

11. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    We have a garden every year-sometimes two gardens. We normally put all of the squash in one garden(zucchini, Butternut Squash), and then we put tomatoes and green beans in to can. We planted a lot of green beans last year-almost made it to where I hate them-but I like them better than store bought so I guess it was okay. We put in some egg plants. This year I think my mom's going to try some pole green beans. We also put peppers in to. Last year we had red chilli peppers, green bell peppers, and halipenyos(not spelled right-but I can't think of the correct spelling). We also put in pickling cucumbers sometimes.