The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Love the Anatolians!

:D
I have an Anatolian LGD, and I love him! He's great with the goats and pigs!
I also have Anatolians for guardians. Was given my first one and have had them now for almost 20 years.

I love this breed. When a situation calls for them to "Think on their own" they do what they have been bred for thousands of years to do without any thought to their own safety.

I had one female who ... it gives me the shakes even now to think about ... when a gun went off would run straight towards the shots growling and hair raised.

She also would chase lightning bolts if they came down in the pasture where she was guarding!! I once saw her doing that and about had a stroke. Ran thru the rain and thunder to gather her up and lock her in the barn. She howled like a banshee until the storm quit!!

Two of my females once had a major fight with a mountain lion that was in one of my barns trying to get to two new litters of bunnies.

They are excellent guardians.

Right now my male is fostering my orphan filly. They love each other and both are good with each other. I know the filly is safe if he is around to protect and watch over her.

·
Registered
125 Posts
:thumbup:
Outta all the LGD, I always wanted a Anotlian. But just never found one close enough. So in place of a dog I use a 270 to guard the goaties :)
Have you tried any of the rescues? I once was given three in a row.

Most people can not handle this breed cause they expect them to be REGULAR dog type dogs.

These dogs ARE NOT regular dogs! Nothing could be further from the truth where this breed is concerned.

They have a job to do and they do it very, very well. BUT, if the time comes when it is doing what YOU want or what their nature and thousands of years of instinct says to do ... YOU will lose every single time!

My husband always had a problem with that. We married long after I had been around this breed,and he had always had REGULAR dog dogs. I kept trying to explain about the breed and why they do what they do but ...

I was in the middle of getting another male when my husband passed away last year. Just now thinking about getting another one in the near future.

If I find breeder do you want a pup or what?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
there have been lots of threads about pros/cons about each guardian. head to the "precious protectors" section of the forum. :)

·
1,524 Posts
I have 2 Great Pyrenees who are farm guardians. They protect the goats, horses, chickens, humans and other dogs and do a great job keeping the perimeter of the farm free of evil doers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts