gave Dexamethasone-should we give oxytocin or lute...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by wild hills, Jan 23, 2011.

1. wild hills

wild hills Member

Jan 23, 2011
    we have a doe that is just miserable. have given her calcium-she acted a bit better for a short while. vet gave us Dexamethasone and oxytocin because we asked for it-we just realized we usually use lute after the dex. we are not familiar with the oxytocin----i think we asked for the wrong thing........help !

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What was diagnosed on your Doe by the vet?

Did she just have kids or?

3. wild hills

wild hills Member

Jan 23, 2011
    we can feel the kid in thru the cervix, which is not loose-about 2 fingers, but tight. doe has been still and quiet-head against the wall. brought her in and gave calcium 100cc then another 100cc today-we have other does ready to kid/uddered up, leveled out, not eating...etc.... talked with the vet yesterday and she suggested la200 (would have used biomycin), calcium (we have a history with our does needing calcium: calcium deficient hay/feed in our area is common) have had to do the caclium with others in our herd. she also suggested to dose for coccidiosis as we had some loose stool-which could have been from extra corn i had given them when our son had given them some, also. so we haven't dosed for cocci. . it has been a long while since we have induced and feel very green. we are confident she is ready-also, else would the kid be right there that we can feel it when checking the cervix...? we usually talk w/our vet and dose ourselves unless its an emergency which she doesn't feel it is. we are praying she will have 2-3 small ones and not one big one.....

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    When is the Due Date...do you know?

This is a normal behavior with Does that are getting closer...I have seen them... up to a wall and actually push their head against it.... all night before they kid.....
    If she isn't pushing yet ....she may just be contracting...... and her cervix isn't dilated and ready yet..... A Doe can contract for hours...preparing her body for kidding...if she hasn't pushed or isn't in distress.... I wouldn't give her anything...... unless she is way over Due or has a dead kid at the opening that isn't telling her to dilate or push....

Not sure... as to why... the vet suggested the LA200....unless your does are to early and it keeps them from aborting?

If you have calcium issues ...that is good... to give the calcium...

Glad you didn't treat for cocci...I would get a fecal done for worms and cocci... if their stools stays soft..... Feeding extra corn.... when their systems aren't use to it.... can cause loose stool or watery scours....

I have to say this... but ...it sounds like your vet ....is just guessing things and throwing out the meds ........ that can be dangerous in itself ....

5. wild hills

wild hills Member

Jan 23, 2011
    yes-she always 'advises' and we go from there. we have had cocci for 2 years after decades of no problem...go figure. maybe we are just being too soft for the doe. we are taking the fecal in tomorrow for testing and will at least be able to know or delete....we have 2 other does in with her and i will be surprised if they haven't kidded by morning....thanks so much for the quick responses. i don't feel so out of control anymore.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad you are taking in a fecal sample.... that will let you know.... one way or another... :wink:

and you are very welcome.... hang in there ...happy kidding and may God bless.... :hug: :pray:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hm.. hope everything goes well, I'd give oxytocin or just wait with her

8. wild hills

wild hills Member

Jan 23, 2011
    gave the dex at 11: this morning. going to pray the other 2 does go ahead and kid, and she likes the idea and takes off ! otherwise, we will uxe the oxy tomorrow afternoon....

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How are your goaties today....?Prayers.. are being sent there.... :hug: :pray:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Dexamethazone takes 48 hours to induce so give her time. Just because a doe is uncomfortable doesn't mean she is in destress.

Giving Lute on top of dex is like double inducing.

I wouldn't give oxytocin unless she is dialated and just not pushing or you will creat contractions and hurt her internally if not dialated!

Soft stools before kidding is totally normal but glad you are getting her stools check

11. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    How is she doing? Did she give up the babies yet? I hope everybody is doing well!

12. wild hills

wild hills Member

Jan 23, 2011
    wanted to say that her stool is still loose, almost runny..just not quite lumpy and a a bad odor to it. was with her for hours today and she didn't potty at all...so tonite at 9:30 she does. vet says it needs to be a fresh fecal, so will try again tomorrw.....

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    When is her due date? Did I miss that? I am glad you are getting her stool checked, but I wonder if it is because of all the Calcium that she is getting? What are you using for the Calcium? Just wondering. I gave one of my does CMPK and they hate it and I guess it burns. I would like to figure out something else.

Good Luck

14. wild hills

wild hills Member

Jan 23, 2011
    for calcium we inject calcium gluconate subQ. they don't mind much at all, except for weather like this if we don't warm it up to body temperature and they get the cool solution ..... she just kidded-a very big girl she had. had to have a good bit of help ! feces in the bag/ gave mama penicllun procain and will continue for 5 days. they are both doing well...except....when i went to help the little thing nurse....mama has not uddered up-nothing. so we are helping her nurse off the first doe that kidded-yesterday morning. so she is getting a bit of colostrum . came in to find a recipe for something to feed her in hopes to pull her thru tonite and prayerfully mama will be able to feed her tomorrow.......if anyone is up and on here and has some help in what to give the little doe.........thanks in advance

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Let baby nurse from mom as often as possible, the action will cause her to let down her milk. If you can, while baby is with mom, massage and bump her udder, that too will help. I have a similar situation with my Angel when she kids...teeny udder and I do supplement kids with an ounce or 2 twice a day for the first 2 days, leaving them hungry enough to encourage production from mom.

Congrats on your baby girl! Would love to meet her!

16. wild hills

wild hills Member

Jan 23, 2011
    thank you thank you thank you ! makes so much sense !! fell asleep at the computer last night at midnight after coming in from the barn ...going out now to work with them !

17. wild hills

wild hills Member

Jan 23, 2011
    we gave our doe some more oxy and caclium...udder is forming ! baby is insterested in anything but resting. have been getting some replacer in her belly-going to leave them alone for a while. we only have the two mamas and their babies together, so hoping they will have some good down time and be ready to eat when we go back out. really hoping they have done it on their own ! the fecal for the mama showed a few strongyles, not alot, no coccidiosis, and parasites are not over running. not sure if we are going to panacure after kidding or not. what do you guys suggest ? we have 7 more to kid and four of them look like it should have been last week...we used to give tums for calcium the last round of their gestation, but had read that it is bad in other ways....maybe it was not allowing the body to absorb or use potassium...not sure. i am also looking for a general list of vaccines and their timing. i look thru our records but am wondering what is really needed, good, and just shouldn't from experienced goat owners. we used to show years ago-had some national champions....bottom line is always that we love or goaties and they loves us-no need for papers or ribbons ! i have just been out of the loop of it all, any help on the vaccines would be appreciated-i guess i am interested more so as to what you guys do-i know what our vet tells us to give,,,,again looking for advice from those who know that they know what they know from experience !

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    why are you still giving her oxytocin?

19. wild hills

wild hills Member

Jan 23, 2011
    vet said it would causeher to pass the afterbirth and therefore the milk would come in. we cant get her doe to nurse off her-will be trying again in a bit-if the doe still wont nurse, will put buck born the day before on her- please let me know if there is another way i should have went-we have 7 more to go. hopefully we wont have this situation again, but if so, i will at least know what to and not to do....thank you :cool:

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I rarely use any drugs pre or post kidding. The only time I have was last year with one doe I gave Dexamethasone to induce her. I find its better if their own bodies go through the natural process.

So she hasnt passed the placenta yet? how long has it been since she had the doeling?