"gay" buck???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by boeredinoh, Sep 4, 2009.

1. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    I just bought a new buck for my herd of Boer goats. He is a beautiful red and has a good body type. He was born this february, but had a problem this summer with worms and poor grazing, so he is a little on the slim side now. However, that is not what i am most worried about. I put him in with the does 2 weeks ago, and he just doesn't seem interested at all. I have seen the does in "HEAT!!" and he just keeps to himself in the pasture. He doesn't pee on himself or flehmen or anything. When he was in the pen with a wether this spring, he didn't show dominance. Is there anything i can do to improve his libido or should i just get a new buck before my breeding season is up? I have had many other bucks in the past and have never had a problem with this. please help

2. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    I don't know about Boers, but some bucks are slower to mature than others. We had one that really hadn't figured it all out until after his first birthday, but once he had figured it out he was very ready! :)

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Don't feel bad I have one of those too. I had to put him out with a breeding pair so that he could "watch" and learn. Long story short that helped alot.

Also, he did breed a doe shortly after that - but then he went to pasture the month of august with 3 does - and I am positive he didn't do a darn thing with any of them. He has never peed on himself - no lip raising - no nothing - yet he is in with 3 nigis.... (bucks that is)

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Young boer bucks.....most of them....will try to do the deed.... at a very young age... 4 months ... I have found to be true......The few that are not interested....should be given some time....but as breeding season is here....I would recommend a different buck...so you won't possibly... miss the season....
    Also ...if you have a good vet.... that can do a sperm count on your red buck.....then you will know... if something is just not right with him......if you are feeding him show feed(grain) .....that sometimes makes a buck lazy to breed ... as well...... :wink: :hug:

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    My Feb boy, thought he'd be ready. Turns out he just isnt quite tall enough. He did all the fancy footwork & display but didnt mount.
    As Toth has suggested use someone else, give your boy time to grow. And dont miss out on breeding season! :wink:

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I have one here as well. I had a doe in standing heat and all he's do was rub against her. I stood there, waiting, for HOURS! It can be frustrating, but some like to breed when no one's around or at night. That's probably what your boy is doing. Or at least that's what mine have done.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would guess he just isnt feeling mature enough to do the deed yet. Some lines mature faster then others. Have you thought about just letting him run with your does?
    beth

8. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    i know there is no way of telling if he is breeding them at night without using a chalk or night vison video camera..haha but i just don't even see him smelling the does or acting the least bit like a buck. he seems to just be content doing nothing. He is running with the does in the same pasture and pen, and has been for a while. I've been watching for signs of breeding such as rurfled hair on their backs, but i haven't seen any of that. I don't know :scratch:

Thanks for all the comments though! i really appriciate the encouragment!

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Give it some time you may be surprised thatyou will see babies in january. Sometimes bucks are very discreet. i once had a young buck three months old. We didnt think he bred anyone he proved us wrong when babies started apearing in february.
    beth