Generic Ivermectin

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by capriola-nd, Dec 26, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Just a quick question. . . . Ivermectin is safe for pregnant does, correct?? I will be deworming the whole herd tomorrow. Pregnant does w/ the generic form of Ivermectin - non-preggo with Valbazen. Just need an assurance that the Ivomec is okay for pregnant does.

This is the ivermectin from Jeffer's. Same as the Ivomec (or at least they said it was).

2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Yes, Ivermectin is safe for pregnant Does. Or atleast what we always used was. It was the liquid horse wormer, that we used. Good luck with your worming! :thumb:

(if for some reason I am wrong... someone please speak up!!! LOL :ROFL: )

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yes its safe and yes its the same stuff. i use it too!

and its soo much cheaper!

4. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Okay now this is from my own experience, and I can't even prove that this was the cause.

I normally used the true version of Ivomec, then to save a few $$$ I bought the generic Ivermectin. I gave it to my Robyn who was in early pregnancy. And she became very ill. I don't know if you remember that post I had on here a few months back? Anyway she didn't have a worm overload, I noticed a few lice on her and used it for that because I recently dusted her with SEVIN dust as well and that didn't help. Anyway she got really sick after using the Ivermectin and did wind up coming back into heat two months later. I am suspecting she reabsorbed the pregnancy due to the illness.

I have been afraid to use it since and it is still sitting in my goat med cupboard. I have bought the Ivomec Plus and went back to it.

So if you do use this on your pregnant doe let me know how you make out. I am curious to know if it was the generic form or not. Or maybe it was just because she was in her first trimester, which I will never use any meds again that early in pregnancy.
    I am glad to hear others have used it with no problems... I hate that I have a whole bottle just sitting unused. I guess I could use it on nonpregnant goats or goats in later pregnant months. As I said I have no proof as to what caused her to be ill. Maybe all coincidence? :shrug:

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use the generic on preggy does without incidence. ;)

Laurel_Haven _ it may be that the bottle is tainted with something. I personally would throw it out. Thats what I was told to do, and did, with the bottle of tetanus antitoxin I had after a kid have an allergic reaction to it. You could also look up the lot number on the bottle and contact the manufacturer about it.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks everyone. What dosage do you go by for this? 1cc per 50 lbs? I've heard so many things, don't know what to believe anymore! :sigh:

7. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I also give 1 ml per 50 lbs. :wink:

8. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
  9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    me too.. and laurel haven i too think its a tainted batch.. cause i gave it to 4 bred does in all different stages and no issues yet

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I do 1cc per 25 lbs.

11. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    What a difference in the amounts we all use LOL. I use the Ivermectin Cattle and Swine 1% Injection and give 1cc per 34 pounds orally.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Now what about Ivomec Plus that also treats for lung worms - can you give that to pregnant does???? and at what dosage??

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I think I have heard to not give Ivomec plus to preggo does. . . . but I could be wrong. I would think it to be the same dose as the regular Ivomec. :shrug: Which in our cases is quite varied!!

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I don't think ivomec plus is safe. I wouldn't use it.

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    ok - I was going to get the other stuff for preggy does anyway - but thought that I would ask... since I already have it!

16. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I will be worming my herd today, too. A quick question...it says it only needs one dose (Ivermectin Equine), but I'm pretty sure I should dose again in 10 days. I can't quite remember. As for dosages, I use the paste so I triple the goat's body weight. So if my doe weighs 125 pounds I will give the dosage at about 375 for horses. Brooke

17. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I always dose again in 21 days as that is a parasites life cycle (what we were told in a seminar given by Safeguard). I am not so sure about the Ivermectin Equine, never used it before. But I'm sure someone else can help you out with that. . . .

18. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    So are these doses given by mouth??
    I have seen a few people on here refer to pour on wormer. I love the "idea" of pour on wormer, but I have read that it can kill goats because of thier metabolism.. Just wondering, I need to start worming my babies, and wondering the dose..I always use sheep drench..

19. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Yes, the paste is given orally. It's fairly easy, once you catch the little buggers! I've never tried the pour-on or the injectible, and also wonder if they're better or easier!

20. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    When I first had goats, I did pour on until I found out how bad it can be. I then did injectible and it hurts!! Stings!! So now I just do by mouth!