The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have never owned a buck and we are looking to buy one. The Oberhasli gene pool has a reputation for being a bit shallow. How do I figure out (even looking at the pedigree records from ADGA) how a buck might be too close in blood lines to use as a good herd sire? I really want to do this right, the first time! Are there specific things to look for (how many generations out)??:confused:

Thanks,
MB

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
If you already have a buck in mind, then go to adga genetics, and click planned pedigree, type in the bucks name, and the does name in the appropriate boxes, and calculate. It will tell you how inbred the kids would be, and what bucks and does are the factors of the inbreeding.
I like to keep things below 6% inbred. If you see the same goat more than 2-3 times on the pedigree that is getting a bit close. If the buck and the doe have the same names on the pedigree that is way too close.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks!! I wondered what the acceptable % of inbred would be.

What if the buckling that I'm hoping to buy is not registered yet with ADGA? Would using my doe's pedigree record crossed with their buckling's sire record be enough to plan from? I hope that makes sense.
And what if I don't already have a buck in mind....where is a good place to start??
Thanks so much for your help!!
MB

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
If the buckling is not registered yet, then you can plan his pedigree and find out how inbred he is. The the goats that are factors of the inbreeding, you can see if they are on your does papers, if most are on the buckling and the does papers that would be too close.

Using the bucks sire alone might not be enough to go off of, because the relation might be on the dams side.

If you are looking for a buckling, you can try to find breeders websites in your area, ask the 4-H offices in your area of any breeders, things like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts