German Shepherd Pup

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Hailee's Herd, Oct 10, 2007.

1. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    He is HUGE!!!!! I need another BIG dog...my GP just isn't big enough.

2. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Here is Rascal in Jan. 07 on baby watch:
    [​IMG]

And here he is 8/20/07, he is going to be 3 in Nov:
    [​IMG]

Here is the grey Sully (with Rascal's tail in the pic) on 8/20/07, he was 7 in April:
    [​IMG]

3. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    awwww... I really like Rascal! Sully is nice too.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Very pretty dogs Jacque! We only have one german shepherd, he's 11.

5. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Thanks Hailee!

I didn't know you had a Shepherd Sarah! Cool! 8) :D

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yep! We've had him since he was a puppy, I still remember when we went to pick him out as a puppy. All of his brothers and sisters were around their mom and he was out in the barn adventuring. He smelled like motor oil when we brought him home :lol: He's not purebred, he doesn't have the lower hips like true shepherds do. He turned 10 or 11 this past April(his birthday is Income Tax Day :D)
    Here's Sergeant, just Sarge for short :wink:
    [​IMG]

Winking at the camera:
    [​IMG]

And not supposed to be on the couch:
    [​IMG]

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yep! We've had him since he was a puppy, I still remember when we went to pick him out as a puppy. All of his brothers and sisters were around their mom and he was out in the barn adventuring. He smelled like motor oil when we brought him home :lol: He's not purebred, he doesn't have the lower hips like true shepherds do. He turned 10 or 11 this past April(his birthday is Income Tax Day :D)
    Here's Sergeant, just Sarge for short :wink:
    [​IMG]

Winking at the camera:
    [​IMG]

And not supposed to be on the couch:
    [​IMG]

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Sarah,

He looks purebred to me! A true Shepherd does not have to have that slant in their back. That is just for show and honestly...I hate it! Ever seen some of those dogs run? I've seen some where they are tripping over their feet. It is not natural for them to be like that. Shepherds were bred for herding, now...I don't see a dog that is tripping over itself being able to herd very well....do you? Do you have any German Shepherd books? The first Shepherds have that straight back, that is the kind of Shepherd we have. Now as we brought in some German lines, we do have some slightly roached back dogs out here, but prefer them to be straight. Just my opinion

9. cornishwlr

cornishwlr Guest

Oct 18, 2007
    we had one when we where younger. They where the straight back. I don't like the slant back. They look like they would have lots trouble with working. Either hearding are protection.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my pup is german shepherd mix and does fine around the goats. Mind you I don't leave them together 24/7 but i have left them in the same pen together without a thought. He watches over them and they watch him learily.

Jasper could careless though he probably would play with Lucky if he could.

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Purebred or not, he's a great dog!! Even though he's old he still acts just like a puppy and has not arthritis or hip problems whatsoever. He's great around the goats too and lets house babies sleep with him :D He's also killed and fought his share of groundhogs, possums, coons, moles etc. I remember one time he had a coon in the field, and as soon as we got there he picked the coon up snapped his neck and walked off like he had had enough of him. He's a great dog. He has ALOT of hair to brush though, he has more hair than our pyrs. :roll:

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I will always have a german Shepherd or mix dog! they are such smart animals. Mixes are my favorite - great temperment and of course they usually need homes so I love helping.

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    He does have such a personality. He always does a howl talk when he wants something, he's so cute. I remember when he was a puppy, we were watching the wizard of oz and the movie came to the part with the flying monkeys, he went absolutely nutz at the tv, he was trying to protect us! LOL :D
    My mom has always had german shepherds, even when she was a kid.

14. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Teddy is doing great! He is such a smart little pup for 8 weeks.