The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
Make a few signs to warn off the temptation of touching the goats. Then when some one decides to ignore the signs your within your rights ( or its within your friends right lol) to verbally remind them. " please do not mess with my goats"

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
A sign that says, " not responsible for loss fingers due to biting goats" LOL

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
Awe..that is hard. People think we run a petting zoo. I do have friends who like to bring grand kids over but they always ask and kids are told the rules before going in the goat area. Still can be hard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know how you feel. I moved my geese to their own pen recently. A couple days later, someone was over (not someone I know, a guest of a friend staying with us) and apparently decided it was ok to climb into my goat pen with my goats without asking. I found out after the fact. Considering moving my geese back into the goat pen.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awe..that is hard. People think we run a petting zoo. I do have friends who like to bring grand kids over but they always ask and kids are told the rules before going in the goat area. Still can be hard.
Yes, they do think we run a petting zoo. I try very hard to keep my goats healthy and people don't respect that. And my goats are super friendly, so they go right up to strangers. Maybe I should say my goats are highly allergic to people, except for me. :unsure:

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
What do you think people might have on their hands that would be bad for your goats?

I doubt non-goat owning people may be sprinkling Johnes and CL bacterias around like fairy dust.

I find it strange you don't want to share the joy of your goats with close family and friends you have visiting your home.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I'm with Salty! If your goats are friendly and the people are being gentle I see no harm in letting them interact. If it's kids being wild and loud and spooking the goats, you have an opportunity to show them how to behave around animals. I've introduced several people to goats who later went on to get their own because I took the time to share. Goat love is a wonderful thing! You do just have to make sure that everyone stays safe. No feeding inappropriate treats, no running, screaming, waving sticks, or acting wild around the goats. Goats need to be respectful too because little people are especially vulnerable if your goats have horns. Sandals can also be a problem if a goat steps on a kid's foot. But other than a few safety precautions on both sides, I don't see why friends and family can't have supervised visits with the goats. Now if you have problems with total strangers coming up and feeding/petting across the fence, that's an entirely different issue! I would not approve of that either, and I'd be investing in some good hotwire!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Man I wish these ideas worked with kids...my younger brothers friends just loved to torment them...after asking politely several times, even the mother's...I had to resort to seizing toys for 48 hours...only after not touching my animals for 2 days+ promising never to do so again can they get them back😁

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you think people might have on their hands that would be bad for your goats?

I doubt non-goat owning people may be sprinkling Johnes and CL bacterias around like fairy dust.
I'm very precautious when it comes to visitors to my goats due to diseases, especially Johnes. Should I not be this worried? It makes me mad that they don't ask me first to pet them or touch them. Then I'd ask them to wash their hands and I'd give them carrots for the goats. It just makes me angry when they pester them, without permission and without being kind to the goats.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Don't be worried about visitors giving your goats diseases. Johnes, CAE, and CL are the "Big 3" and the only one that's even contagious to goats your age is CL. With that one you'd have to have people coming to pet your goats directly after handling someone else's goat that is actively infectious--in your case about the same risk as having your goats abducted by aliens, so don't worry about it too much. ;)

Lots of us take goats to shows and fairs where they are exposed to hundreds of people petting one goat after another throughout the entire barn, yet even in this "worst case scenario" it's very rare for goats to become ill from being petted. The worst I've experienced is that my goats once came down with snotty noses directly after the State Fair--like kids coming home with colds after their first week in kindergarten. It cleared up by itself after a few days.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I’m kinda standing between everyone here. If it was me, I’d put out signs saying to please ask before petting the goats. Then again, I also agree with @Damfino. I’m asked all the time to take my presentation goats to different social places, such as fairs, parades, and 4-H meetings. There are hundreds of people petting them and kids hugging them, but I’ve never had one sick.
Now if the people are hurting them, or scaring them on purpose (myotonics) then I would definitely ask them to leave. If they are doing it without realizing it, then this is a good time to educate them. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you, everyone. This changes how I view people interacting with my goats. I don't know why, but for some reason, people wanting to pet my goats makes me super angry. It is unjustified, I know, but it just does.

·
Super Moderator
82,111 Posts
Double fencing, in the area, so the goats are back from the fence, make it to where you can mow with weed water or mower, a sign saying no trespassing.

Hot line.

I am sorry but, I don’t like anyone touching my goats without my permission.
Yes, the concern for diseases can be passed along to your herd, if the person just visited another goat farm with issues.
I try really hard to protect my goats.
And know your concerns.

·
Fair-Haven
4,596 Posts
Pestering is NOT allowed. Through the fence only if the goats feel like visiting. Please respect their space, and do know they may bite NO ONE is allowed in my pens or pasture with my goats without permission. - Especially if they have or have been recently close to another herd. My goats, my barn, my rules. Do what is right for you - and feel Ok about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts