The Goat Spot Forum banner

Get this Buck to Stand!

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  FarmGirl18 
I wouldn't recommend using a prong/pinch/spike collar. Steady pressure like used in a goat show on the collar can be damaging with a prong collar. The proper use of is is in quick jerks, just enough to put pressure on the skin. Except for the corrections, no pressure is put on the collar. I see people using them and it irritates me. It is not the proper use of the tool and injuries are sure to happen because of it.

I use a home made collar/handle setup. I bought two feet of chain and arpund part of it put a 4 inch length of tubing. THe chain is connected but a screw in clip. This is slipped over the goat's head. To prevent it from slipping back off I connect the chain again with a double ended snap at the top of the neck. Most people I know show using this now. The tubing part serves as a handle for you. It is more attractive than a chain and lead and gives you more control than just with a collar. Most people around here show with it. Its hard to describe but I can take a picture of it if you'd like.

How are you holding his head when you get him to set up? Just by the collar or do you hold his chin too? I hold by the collar and chin and it give me a good control over my animals.

Interferes with the animal? I don't understand what you mean. All it does is help you keep the animal's head up. Also I set up front legs by lifting my goat off the ground and setting it back down so it makes that easier. And you don't hold it while you're walking or anything. Pretty much everyone shows that way here. I was looking through my pictures of my a last show and nearly everyone in the pictures would hold their goat's chin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.