The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a my new alpine doe im getting tomorrow! She is a full blooded alpine that is registered with papers for $50!!!!!! She is so cute! She has never kidded wich worries me but they said it was because they never had a buck. She was given as a gift to the people we are buying her off of because she was to short to be in 4-h? I am glad I am getting her because she has been there all by her self for her whole life! She is 6 years old, so I hope she still gives good milk.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
That is a really nice doe. She might have a hard time getting pregnant at 6 years old, after 3 there productivity drops dramatically if they have never kidded before.
And I don't see why she'd be too short for 4-h, I had a gch doe that was shortest in all the classes, but she wiped the floor with the other does.
This doe looks like she has really nice conformation. If I may ask, what bloodlines is she from? American Alpine, or French?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really dont know till I get her pappers. The guy on the add didnt even say if it was a buck or a doe! I whant her regardless because she is all by herself. Do you think she could get pregnant easier if we keep the buck with her year round?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I really dont know till I get her pappers. The guy on the add didnt even say if it was a buck or a doe! I whant her regardless because she is all by herself. Do you think she could get pregnant easier if we keep the buck with her year round?
First you have to see if she is even cycling, and what her cycles are. But wether she is with a buck all year or only on her heat cycles, she has the same chance of getting pregnant.
Right now she wouldn't be cycling if she's normal on her cycles. All dairy breeds should cycle August to February. Right now is out of season

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So a shot can fix it? Can I only get it throught a vet, or could I get it at rural king? Rural king is a farm store thats bigger than tsc

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
You can get it at a vet, or VetServ. It's an Rx Med, so a farm store will not have it.
Initial day:3cc Lutalyse
7th day:1cc Cystorellin
14th day: 3cc Lutalyse
17th day: 1cc Cystorellin and pen her with the buck that day.

But see if she cycles in the fall, if she does breed her, if she keeps coming back in heat, give her the shots.
Both can be gotten at a vet or VetServ, nowhere else they are prescription meds.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
So a shot can fix it? Can I only get it throught a vet, or could I get it at rural king? Rural king is a farm store thats bigger than tsc
Don't mess with her. She should come in heat in the fall. Watch this forum. About August and clear through the end of September, there will be a run of posts about how their doe(s) aren't coming in heat yet. Then magically those posts go away and everything is in heat. If it's the end of October and your doe still hasn't come in heat, even though there is a stinky buck around, then you can worry what to do about it.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Don't mess with her. She should come in heat in the fall. Watch this forum. About August and clear through the end of September, there will be a run of posts about how their doe(s) aren't coming in heat yet. Then magically those posts go away and everything is in heat. If it's the end of October and your doe still hasn't come in heat, even though there is a stinky buck around, then you can worry what to do about it.
Thats what I'm saying, wait till breeding season, if no cycle, then pursue the problem. Breeding season differers depending where you are. Whenever fall comes to you is normally when it will start.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here she is! Does anybody think she could be a show girl? My dad think she ways about 150 lbs! She is big! I am 5ft 11 in tall, and when she stands up on the gate, I look her in the eyes! She is super friendly and doesnt mind being touched. She is a registered alpine, but I dont have her papers yet, and I dont know were to look for the tattoo.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
She's beautiful!! Congratulations!!! I am thinking if you just have her in with a buck from Sept/Oct through Dec, then if you haven't seen any activity then I would look into the shots. I'm using paint sticks with breeding this fall/winter so I have some dates:)

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Tested for CAE and CL? Those cheap goats can be just little worm holes to destroying your whole herd. If she is tested, ASK FOR PAPERS. NEVER believe strangers about those diseases. Remember, even some of the FANCIEST goat herds who have won shows and shows may have it in their herds. You never know.

We almost got sucked into buying a milking cow who had Johnes. The lady was very nice and was going to bring her to us, but then when we asked her to test her, she said yes and that was the last thing we heard from the lady. And it was a COMMERCIAL dairy! Our vet said that the most common place to find diseases are in big commercial herds.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
This is my Alpine girl I bought last week for 75.00. She seems to be around 150 lbs herself! That's funny!

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought her off a girl who was going to college, she was the only goat there, and thwy were selling her because she was lonley, the vet should be out this week. What should I ask him to do?'

1 - 20 of 46 Posts