Getting 2 week old boer doeling, have some questions

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by CodyAcres, Mar 4, 2009.

1. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    We have a 4 week old Boer buckling (who will be wethered soon). I am getting a 2 week old doeling for his companion tonight. The doeling has been running in a herd with her momma and 2 sisters for 2 weeks. The man I am getting her from said that the last baby that went from mom to a new owner would not take a bottle, but would drink from a bowl. That concerns me. I know that it isn't good for them to drink from a bowl due to the fact that the milk must go to the correct stomach. Do any of you have suggestions for me on this?

Also, I'd like some advice on getting this little girl used to us. Do you think we'll be able to get her as tame as our buckling who we've raised since day 2?

Thanks!
    Jamie

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    personally I wouldnt take the doeling till she is weaned. Any breeder who is willing to sell you a goat that is currently on mom and not on a bottle at that age sends up red flags! I wouldnt purchase this doeling till she is weaned (8 weeks or older).

3. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Oh, he's doing it as a favor to me. I need a companion for my buckling because he's going outside. I called the friend that I got the buckling from and he has 3 doelings on a mom and that's all he has right now. I don't want to put my buckling outside all alone and the hubby is ready for him to go out now.

Jamie

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I strongly suggest you do not take the 2 week old doeling. I would continue looking for another goats or ask if you can bring mom and babies home till they are weaned.

Talking from experience.......not a good idea

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree with stacey....not a good idea.... :(

besides ...when the buckling turns 4 months old he is capable of breeding she will be safe for a little while but...........When I started out with the boers...my buck at that time was only 4 months old and bred ...all my big does....he was the only buck at the time ...we had no choice...all my does delivered kids 5 months later...

When your doeling comes to breeding age ...which is very young ....it will create a problem....she may get bred way to young ...you will be forced to separate them to prevent pregnancy ....the whole situation concerns me.... you are back to square one.....his/her companion will be taken away again..... both ...will be alone..... :sigh:

6. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Thanks so much for the advice! I've called my friend and told him I've changed my mind and will not get her due to the reasons ya'll stated.

I have another friend who is giving me a dairy wether that is and has been bottle fed since birth.

Thanks so much!!
    Jamie

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh that sounds perfect!! Much more suitable situation. So glad he now has a buddy too :cool:

OH and did you here we like.....LOVE pictures :greengrin:

8. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Ok, I'll make a link to my photobucket albums as soon as I get the rest of the pics uploaded to it.

Jamie

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have someone that was asking me to do the same thing (pull the kid at about 3 weeks) - needless to say, I am stretching it out to weening. I know that she is anxious to bring him home, as you are, but it is not the healthiest thing for the kid. They can be overly socialized while still being dam raised.

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I have been able to get some older, dam raised dairy breed kids to take a bottle, but Boers are a whole other story. Unless they are bottle fed from the start, most won't take a bottle. I certainly wouldn't sell a young dam raised kid unless I was able to get it trained to the bottle before the new owner came to get it. As for pan feeding goats milk, I don't do it, but some well known breeders do it successfully.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    good decision... :hug: ...I am so glad you changed your mind......good luck on your goat adventures....and "we love pictures.... :wink: :greengrin: :greengrin:

12. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Here's some pics

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7665&p=97278#p97278

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh such cuties! Beautiful little doeling! :love: