The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my does is producing heavily this year, as in, she's at 10lbs a day and still increasing. I'm having a hard time getting her to eat the quantity of grain she needs to support this lactation amount (5lbs and increasing). I give free choice top quality alfalfa hay, and grain is a mix between a pelleted feed, Calf Manna, and beet pulp.

I'm concerned the amount of grain she needs will mess up her rumen, or cause her not to eat as much hay. Currently, I'm offering her 4 smaller meals a day, but I can't keep this up long-term as I am starting a new job and won't be able to sit with a goat whenever she wants.

Do you have any ideas on how to get her to reliably eat the amount she needs?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She wasn't doing fine with what I was giving her. She was getting about 3lbs a day of grain and the alfalfa, and losing condition as her milk production increased. That's why I upped the grain amount. She puts a lot of fat into the bucket and it comes off of her in return. But she's used to only eating 3lbs a day, and she pretty much stops eating and looks at me once she's had 1.5lbs in a sitting as usual.

·
Registered
560 Posts
One of my does is producing heavily this year, as in, she's at 10lbs a day and still increasing. I'm having a hard time getting her to eat the quantity of grain she needs to support this lactation amount (5lbs and increasing). I give free choice top quality alfalfa hay, and grain is a mix between a pelleted feed, Calf Manna, and beet pulp.

I'm concerned the amount of grain she needs will mess up her rumen, or cause her not to eat as much hay. Currently, I'm offering her 4 smaller meals a day, but I can't keep this up long-term as I am starting a new job and won't be able to sit with a goat whenever she wants.

Do you have any ideas on how to get her to reliably eat the amount she needs?
Hello,
It sounds to me like your goat is very healthy, as since she is producing a ton of milk. Goats are very smart, and if she needed more grain, then she would probably eat it. One of my goats produces a lot too, but I don’t give her that much grain because she has a few acres of land and plenty of hay to eat. If your goat has a bit of land to eat grass on, and you are giving her hay and grain, then she is probably fine and you won’t have to give her a larger amount of grain. This is just my personal experience though, so don’t take my word for it! Hope this helps! 😊

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her FAMANCHA is well within normal range. I also just gave her a copper bolus, oak leaves, and black walnut leaves. I have pumpkin seeds on the way as another natural dewormer.

It's more that she just doesn't want to eat more than 1.5lbs at a time, and her body needs the higher calories, protein, and fat to support a good body condition and the level of milk she is producing. She eats enough if I bring her to the stand enough times, but again, I am starting a new job soon and won't be able to bring her in for treats every 5-6 hours or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.