Getting a goat to brace

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by 4-HerChick, Apr 13, 2014.

1. 4-HerChick

4-HerChick New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Ca, USA
    My goat braced when I originally got him, but since then he has warmed up to me and doesn't push back anymore. I' ve pushed him backwards for a distance, backed him up into a wall, pushed him onto the edge of a trailer. He pushes back barely. Not enough to really show off his muscles. What can I do?

2. Blackheadedboers

Blackheadedboers Member

Dec 18, 2013
    You could back him off the trailer into a pan of water, or into a small puddle; goats hate water. When I've done that its worked pretty well.

3. 4-HerChick

4-HerChick New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Ca, USA
    The goat got a bath today. Water is definitely not something enjoyable. Ill try that. Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Goat Forum

4. Blackheadedboers

Blackheadedboers Member

Dec 18, 2013
    No problem, just let me know if it works.

5. thegoatgirl

thegoatgirl Alpine Addict!

Nov 26, 2011
    Elgin, Texas
    Another thing that I've sometimes used when showing other people's goats is putting them on the table, and then pushing back. They either brace, or fall off. :) But they have to be small.

6. edenkay101

edenkay101 New Member

Feb 17, 2014
    I pick up their front feet and if they don't brace I grab them by the neck ( I don't choke my goats it doesn't hurt them ) and I spin them around then if they still don't I smack them on the loin and they hate that .

7. chriscrump

chriscrump New Member

Apr 27, 2014
    If you have a stand you can put him on it and make it unleveled so he feels like he is sliding off, which will make him push. And if he doesn't push drive him off of the stand. Therefore, he will figure out to push. Also, if thy doesn't work and you aren't picking him up to brace, pick him up drive and set him down slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum