The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are on our way to pick up my newest girl!!! She's an 8 year old, registered Sable. In milk now. I can't wait!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok! We got her, she's huge!! I had heard they were supposed to be, but never seen one in real life! She's so gentle! But, the people who had her had no idea how to care for a dairy goat. I run my hand over her ribs and can feel every one sticking out. She has no fat padding anywhere on her whole body! She's a self sucker too, so the people hadn't even bothered with milking her for days, so her udder was cold and stiff. I was worried about it at first, but I massaged it real good and expressed whatever milk out that I could, and this morning it feels body temp again and is much softer. So, I am going to dry her completely up, and spend the next 6-8 months in getting her body condition where it should be! She's the second goat this year I have done that with, and our first is a beauty now! I can't wait to see the end results!

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes she is pretty! Both me and my hubby are looking forward to giving her the TLC she needs. He's at Tractor Supply right now shopping specifically for her! lol

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! My kids are already in love with her. But I am having a hard time getting her to eat grain. She's eating tons of grass, drinking plenty, but won't hardly touch anything else. I'd really like to get some weight on her soon. She needs some energy! I've tried two different kinds if feed. She's not interested. Even poured molasses over some. Wouldn't touch it. But, I went outside while I was eating a bag of Chex mix, she heard the crinkly bag and came running. Scarfed the whole little bag down! So, I think she just wants junk! Lol. She'll kill for animal crackers too. My kids think its hilarious! Any ideas on how to make her grain more palatable? Besides crumbling animal crackers to put on top? Lol

·
8,394 Posts
That photo doesn't make her look real skinny. Dairy goats are not supposed to be fat. If she acts healthy and has good digestion (berries, not ploppy poop),
she will gradually gain condition. You may have to sprinkle animal crackers on her food until she starts to eat it! :) Nice looking goat!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
maybe not give her anything to eat for a day and see if she'll touch her grain? the tough love approach.

she has similar body condition to my girl in milk. our girls could be twins!

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She has very thick fur, so she really doesn't look skinny in this picture. But you can feel every bone in her body. Her skin is stretched so tight that you can barely get enough in your fingers to pinch. Here's some pics I took last night. She does have good goat poop, nice berries, not clumpy, but they also look strange. real hard and different colored than my other girls. I think her system just needs to adjust to good food.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I do expect her to be boney, I just feel she is a little more so than she should be.... Her skin is literally stretched so tight that I had to grab three or four times before I could get a pinch in my fingers...maybe I'm just being paranoid though! ;) I'm hoping to get one more kidding out of her next year, before we look at retiring her to live the good life. :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Her registered name is Muscadine-Hills STA Cocoa, so i'm pretty sure that she is chocolate. But, she does have a red overlay so I think she is copper deficient.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just researched all the different marks on her registry, and found out that it means her dam was a fourth generation milk star winner, and her dam's sire has three daughters with milking stars and his dam has one also! Looks like if I can find a buck with good milk lines, I may get a good doe kid out of her next year! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts