The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my new doe today! She's 18 months old and comes with her buckling and the sire. I'll be sending both buckling and sire to a friend of mine since he's old enough to wean in trade for hoof trimmings for my horse (2 trims for my horse's hooves will about equal what I'm paying for the two males). They came as a package deal. $150 for 3 pygmies is NOT a bad deal!

I'll also have access to the older buck as an outside bloodline for my girls. My friend is excited because she's been wanting goats. She just wants them as pets. I'm so excited! They're coming from 3 hours away. My cousin is going to bring them to me so I get to meet my new doe and visit with my cousin and her gf!

:cool:

Going to quarantine them for a bit to make sure they're healthy and I'm getting wormer today to help prevent a worm overload with the stress.

I'll post pictures when they get here!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, we decided to keep the doe and the buck. The two are extremely attached and he's obviously very protective of her, which is something we want. He also protects his kid. We will keep Sid and Athena in another pen we have and they will be their own mini herd. The buckling we will still sell. Sid is definitely not African pygmy after looking at this buck. We will keep our pygmy doe with our pygmy buck and the babies they throw are adorable.

I bought wormer but didn't have the stuff with me to measure it so I'll be worming them tomorrow. The buckling is about 4 months old and the doe is rebred.

I'll likely just separate her for a bit to give her body a break for a couple of months after the next kid is born. She's had 2 sets of kids since her first heat and I don't want to wear her out.

Their hooves are in deplorable shape but he did warn me about that before. We'll be trimming them tomorrow. The poor doe's is splayed out quite a bit.

Here are some pictures from their trip to my ranch. I'll be taking more tomorrow. My phone was dying so I didn't get new ones.

The buck's horns are really strangely grown.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Wow! What a HORNSET!! He is so beautiful, and I love the others as well. What a great deal for all of them.

I really no nothing about Pygmies, so I cant say that your buck isn't. I do think they are lovely, though :love:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My other buck isn't. The new one is pygmy. I was told when we got the other buck that he was pygmy but I had my doubts.

This is him

Those horns on the new buck look absolutely crazy but he looks healthy otherwise (not counting hooves). If I wasn't pregnant, I'd be going first thing in the morning to trim. I can trim my doe Athena's hooves but I'm not chancing fighting with the new ones while 6 months pregnant.

If the buckling was born in late January/February, then she was probably bred right after, so we're looking at a late June/July kidding.

I find the doe is pretty. She doesn't have the exotic looks that Bia had, but she's sweet and very pretty. I wish that buckling was a doe! I'd be keeping her for Sid!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! We love him. He has a mustache over the top of his nose that isn't visible in that picture. I'll have to get some better shots of my goats, ones where they don't have their noses buried in the clover.

I'm excited to start working with the new ones once they have a chance to settle down into their new home. I'm dreading weaning the buckling though. It'll have to be soon, but I remember when I weaned Athena and Atlas and it was heartbreaking! If Sid is okay with him, I might put him with them until his mother dries up or he goes to a new home so he won't be alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts