Getting a new goat...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Mar 10, 2008.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I am going to be getting a new goat soon. :) I have a question though, if both parents are unregistered the kid could still be registered as NOA with a signature from a breeder stating that it fits breed charachter right? Then it could be shown with RG? How much would it cost to do this? Thank you!! :wave:

2. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Another question- are there any rules for colors on Nubians?

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I personally breed and raise Nigerian's and Pygmy. I was under the impression that both parents have to be registered to have the babies be registered. Now I know it is that way with AGS. But I am not sure with other breeds or organizations.

Sorry!

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    In order for a goat to be registered as NOA you have to get a signed statement from an ADGA member that states that this doe conforms to this breed standard. I can do it for you if i see a picture, I'd have to mail you the statement though because my scanner isn't working.

5. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok,I will let you know,but I dont have her yet. I went to look at 2 doelings earlier,but am waiting to see what another doe has ( shes due anytime ) and then Im choosing which kid I want. Then I will see if I want to register it or not,after I see how it matures a little bit. Id like to go to shows but Im not sure it would be worth the expense,especially if she wouldnt do well,but I will wait and see,and be sure to post pics and get opinions on if you guys would go ahead and try to register her. :)

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I'm "pretty sure" there are no rules about color in Nubian's. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Di

7. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    With Nubians, unlike some other breeds, there are no color rules. The most important thing about the way they "look" (excluding conformation, which IMO is the single most important thing besides udders) is that the ears are long enough, shapely, and that they have a roman nose. Hope that helps!

8. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    So if its ears are ok but it doesnt have a roman nose it cant be registered? Does anyone have some pics for examples of a roman nose?

9. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Congrats on the new goat!

Scroll down to the third doe. http://www.freewebs.com/seigneurfarms/srdoes.htm Bella has GREAT breed character....ears and nose! :greengrin: See how the bridge of her nose is arched? That's a roman nose. :wink:

10. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    thank you! :wink: ok, I see now.