The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a pregnant doe today she is due to have babies the end of the month I currently have two 6 mo old does in the pen do you think they will do ok with my new doe ? We're gonna build her a stall and pen of her own to birth the baby in but don't know when it ok to introduce the baby ad mom back with the others also the doe I'm getting don't have horns she's half fainting / half pygmy and my two does I have have horns Diddnt know if they would hurt her or baby they are sanannen ad Nigerian dwarf mi I believe thanks in advance for any help its all new to me but so exciting to be haveing babies soon so got a lot to learn !!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've seen does birth kids in a pen with other does and they were all just fine together. They seem to respect what is happening and restrain from being bossy...BUT... since your current does have horns and the new one doesn't, I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. I guess it depends on the temperaments of your does. I'd rather err on the side of caution, I guess.

Congratulations on the new doe and I hope you have pictures soon. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
The new goat needs four to six weeks separated just incase she is sick That way she doesn't pass I onto the others. I learnt the hard way didn't separate doe and her kids looked healthy about three weeks in she started showing signs if orf separated her but it was too late. 10 goats were completely infected.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks ill have pics soon just picked her up I'm in love with her Already lol !!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I would not put them in together right away. The quarantine idea is great. But if thats not something you wanna do at the vest least pen them next to each other so they can get to know each other first. If you put them together right away, they will fight and a chance they could cheap shot her in the stomach, causing her to abort.

·
14,615 Posts
Horns vs no horns wont be the issue believe me.
She is a new goat & the established ones will pick on her.
I woudlnt worry about 6 mo olds doing any major damage but
I agree, put her in area next to the existing herd so she will know there's others there but wont have to deal just yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a pic of her now to name her !!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is the brown spotted one !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts