getting back into goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by alyssa_romine, Mar 7, 2010.

1. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    hey there everyone! I have been away for quite a while now but hopefully i will be back for good. Some of you know that I used to breed goats and went thru a divorce and had to sell all of them. I then moved in with my boyfriend and he lives on his mom's land so he wouldnt let me have any goats. I just talked to his mom about how much I miss having them and she told me that if I can put up a fence then I can have them!!!! I have to build a barn and a fence but hopefully I can get them back by the end of summer...I am so excited...I think I want to breed Boers or TexMasters but I'm not sure yet.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome back Alyssa!!!!

What wonderful news too....I am so happy for you :hug:

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

How exciting! Best of luck with everything :)

4. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    thank you so much...I too hope it works out

5. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Wow that is great news!! Sounds like everything is working out for you.

6. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    :wave: Welcome back to TGS and to goats soon too.

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Welcome back! :wave: I would say Texmasters.... but .... I'm a bit Biased!!! LMBO!!

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Welcome back. It is good to see you here again.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats great Alyssa! I am so happy for you :D

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hey! I didnt know where you went!!

great news!! :clap:

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Nice to see you back Alyssa!!!!

12. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Thank you all so much!!! Today I am going to trim some goat hooves for a friend that adopted 2 of my goats about 2 years ago...I am so excited to see them!

It was pretty funny because last night I went up to see his mom and she looked at me and said, "So, when are we gonna get some goats?"

I get so excited to here that! But I do have another minor set back...I need a truck. My car just isnt quite big enough to hual goats in :laugh:
    I have a friend that offered me a truck last night but Im not sure if he was serious so I am going to talk to him today...thanks again for all the warm welcome backs!!

13. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Just something to think about. We where on rented land when we lost it due to owner not paying her bank. What saved us is that we used livestock panels for all our fencing and hoop houses. When we had to move it was vary easy to pull t posts and fencing. When you are not on your own land its the only way to go. Even now we are on family property we still use our panels. We try to add a couple every pay day to enlarge pen sizes. I know people who have had panels for years so it a investment that unlike normal fencing travels/ moves easy.

14. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm going with panels so I can move them around the property in the future, so even if you have your own place they are handy. I think I am just going to buy one or two every time i get some spare change in my change jar, for the goats AND for the ponies.

15. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Thank you for the tip Shelly...I will deffinately do that. I dont plan on having very many goats...probably 10 at the most, so I make sure I get partially temp fencing and housing.

I am open to any tips and advice from anyone...please feel free to share!!!

16. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I have a friend who is renting land for her goats. She is doing something kind of neat. She bought one of the storage boxes that they bring in on wheel and then place it where you want. Its 15X 32' I think. Any ways there is a door one side in the front and the big double on the back. She went in with the livestock panel and cut it to fit across the front leaving room to store hay and grain up front and plenty of room as a goat barn behind. The feeder is made by placing a second panel about 8 to 12" apart from the divider one. Hay is just dropped between the two panels.
    She had to move her goats last year because of the fires we have in my area. She called the company that moved the storage boxes and had them come out fast. Her and her husband had goats loaded in the horse trailer and all fencing and t posts pulled in under a hour. Everything was put in the box and the guys hauled it way to a save place. A hour after they got it placed they had fences back up and goats where happy laying in there barn. now not every one needs to be able to move goats that fast but the boxes cost between a $1000 and $1500 around here. That is not bad for a barn of that size and if you ever move you can take the barn with you. :)

17. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    that sounds really neat! I checked on t post and panel pricing today...Im going to measure my area tomorrow to see how many panels and posts I will need...not sure about a shelter yet but I thot about a storage shed...i guess one of those metal ones with the sliding doors but im not sure how well they would hold up to goats.

18. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Don't over look Hoop houses. Its what I use. 2 panels 6 t posts and a costco tarp and you have a great little shelter. Need a bigger one, just add more panels and a bigger tarp. My goats do there best to wreck them and they are still standing. I just buy new tarps every other year.

19. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    i am glad to hear this, since this is what I just built for mine:

[​IMG]

I also have tarps to cover the ends once winter arrives. I was able to build the entire thing myself (hut and pen, actually) and while it WOULD be a chore to do (mostly just getting the posts out!!), I could fairly easily dismantle the entire set up and move it someplace else.

I used the instructions here to build mine, with some minor modifications:

http://goat-link.com/content/view/89/84/1/1/

(I hope this link is ok to post, if not just let me know and I will remove it or PM it if anyone wants it)

20. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    that was it..thank you!!!! I think I can use them very easily