The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a ff Nigerian doe (I suspect some Pygmy genes, too) that is definitely pregnant. I’m unsure of dates due to exposure to failed wether as well as to the planned buck, but I believe she went into heat late July then also late August, so I was thinking end of January...However:
-she has definitely started bagging up the last week or two. Feels like maybe half an orange?
-today I noticed that when she called out to her herd mates, her vulva swelled and I could see an opaque, whitish-yellow “mass” in the opening
-she is definitely walking funny. My husband asked why she’s walking with “straight back legs”
-tonight, she was far more receptive to affection than usual. I was rubbing her all over (and I think I felt a couple kicks?). When I checked her udder she arched up and held still and let me feel it (instead of jumping away, as she usually does)
-I’ve been checking ligaments daily for weeks to try to “get a feel” for them. There is definitely a smushy-ness that wasn’t there yesterday. There is a hollowness around the base of her tail. I THINK I still feel some ligaments, but much “boggier” than they’ve been.
First time goat mom here, so I’d appreciate guidance on how close you experienced folks would GUESS that I am. I have read the Doe Rules, so I understand its only a guess. Do I start the middle-of-the night checks? Am I getting excited too early? I’m attaching a couple pics, but they were taken at dusk, so tough to see. Her udder is bigger than it looks in the pic.
She did eat normally today, and wandered with the herd as per usual. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
If she was bread August 1st the soonest she would kid is about December 20th. Her udder looks small but I have one due in 3 weeks who have about the same size udder. I would not start night checks yet but you can if you want.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If she was bread August 1st the soonest she would kid is about December 20th. Her udder looks small but I have one due in 3 weeks who have about the same size udder. I would not start night checks yet but you can if you want.
Thanks. I figured I was jumping the gun, but I'm a nervous newbie! I'll keep a close eye for further changes but hold off on the 2am checks for now. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How's your doe?
She's doing well, thanks! She is starting to form a bigger udder and her belly is getting bigger. I believe that my observation of a heat in late August was likely correct, so I'm "planning" on a delivery in a few weeks...though I check her behavior/ligaments a couple times a day so no surprises! I just jumped the gun, like all good newbies.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
349 Posts
So, around when do you start the 2am checks? My does aren’t due until Jan 29 th and Feb 1..IF I did the pregnancy calculator right on the website, and IF they were bred as soon as exposed. A lot of ifs...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I think she might be in labor. She’s been huffing and puffing today (though we’re nice and warm in the 70s, so I thought perhaps it was just that. I just saw her strain and her backside bulged noticeably, though! I had a calculated date of 1/21, so I hadn’t moved her to the birthing area, and she wants no part of leaving the other girls, so I’m sitting with her in the doe pen. Ligaments are, I believe, gone (I can encircle the base of her tail, easily). No amber liquid yet.

edit: typos

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ohhhhh, wow! That sounds exciting, or never wracking! If she’s too early? But perhaps those dates were off a bit :). Please please please keep me posted with things...we have like, been cheering each other on...and I’m cheering even louder now! I’d love to hear the full play by play on the kidding. So you nan pm me. If others might get bored. I’m hoping it goes uneventful and everyone is healthy and good lookers! :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How are things?
I think she is teasing me again (though clearly closer). I got her into the birthing pen with one of the other girls in the pen next to her, so they aren't alone. She still looks very swollen in the vulvar area, but no drainage. She is still eating. No talking to her belly. I still don't feel ligaments, and her belly feels huge and taut. Her udder has been coming along nicely the last few weeks, but it does't look "shiny". Perhaps that bulging of her vulva was just a fluke bit of straining? Regardless, I have a baby monitor set up (arrived today from amazon!) so I can keep an eye/ear on her. Clearly, she realized delivering in 70 degree sun was unacceptable...she's waiting til the rain and 50s in a couple days!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts