The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
8,199 Posts
They do have false labor, like Braxton hicks in people. I thinks it's the uterus's way of practicing for the real thing. Make sure she gets exercise, that helps get the kids in position. Do you have things she can climb on? My does spend a lot of time with the front feet up on a kidding box (3'x3' wooden flat top dog house for kids to hide in).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
3D9494BC-6207-4C34-926A-6EDEEF2DD171.jpeg
They do have false labor, like Braxton hicks in people. I thinks it's the uterus's way of practicing for the real thing. Make sure she gets exercise, that helps get the kids in position. Do you have things she can climb on? My does spend a lot of time with the front feet up on a kidding box (3'x3' wooden flat top dog house for kids to hide in).
Thanks - I've been keeping her more cooped up to rest (and to keep my dogs away from her). I'm sitting out with the girls now to get some monitored exercise. She's still eating, but I found her sitting, huffing and puffing with a tight tummy. Her backside looks swollen too.
E2836A30-9892-48C4-B780-DE488BB7BA12.jpeg

·
Registered
349 Posts
View attachment 168877
Thanks - I've been keeping her more cooped up to rest (and to keep my dogs away from her). I'm sitting out with the girls now to get some monitored exercise. She's still eating, but I found her sitting, huffing and puffing with a tight tummy. Her backside looks swollen too. View attachment 168875
Why would her bum area be so swollen?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
She looks extremely swollen. I’ve personally never seen that before, but I’ve also never owned this breed. You said she’s straining? In what way? Does she look like she’s contracting? With that swelling, the discharge, and the straining, I’d say something will be happening very soon.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I do have Nigerians and I would be concerned there's a weakening in the muscular walls and not enough support delivery. The twist area shouldn't be bulging like that. Do you have a good relationship with your vet that you can email or text pictures to?
Here's a picture of one of my does 15 minutes before she delivered triplets for comparison

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
She looks extremely swollen. I've personally never seen that before, but I've also never owned this breed. You said she's straining? In what way? Does she look like she's contracting? With that swelling, the discharge, and the straining, I'd say something will be happening very soon.
I have seen a couple episodes over several days in which I thought she was pushing (and this area bulged a bit), but otherwise she is not contracting and she is acting fine (though waddling like a pregnant woman). She's had that bit of discharge nearly constantly for a few weeks. Doesn't smell, always about that small amount. Cleans off easily, but will return. Eating normally, roams with her herd normally (though they're all taking longer rests as everyone gets big with estimated due dates 1/21-1/28ish.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I do have Nigerians and I would be concerned there's a weakening in the muscular walls and not enough support delivery. The twist area shouldn't be bulging like that. Do you have a good relationship with your vet that you can email or text pictures to?
Here's a picture of one of my does 15 minutes before she delivered triplets for comparison
One of my goats rear is bulged too. But it just got bigger as she got pregnant. Is that not normal? I thought that was how the pooch test worked!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I checked her again his morning - not bulging now. Bulge is most noticeable if she is crying out, coughing (rare), or the couple times I thought she was contracting (either Braxton-Hicks, or I was wrong!).

I called the vet. They said I'd have to bring her in if I want an eval. I'll keep watching her closely for now. Thanks for the insight and reference photo, though. So much to learn!

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I checked her again his morning - not bulging now. Bulge is most noticeable if she is crying out, coughing (rare), or the couple times I thought she was contracting (either Braxton-Hicks, or I was wrong!).

I called the vet. They said I'd have to bring her in if I want an eval. I'll keep watching her closely for now. Thanks for the insight and reference photo, though. So much to learn!
If you're anywhere near DFW there's a bunch of good vets here that'll help if you send them a picture and at least say yes, it would be good to bring her in or no, don't stress her and keep an eye out for this, that or the other...
I hope that your vet is willing to do something like that since it seems she's so close to her due date.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If you're anywhere near DFW there's a bunch of good vets here that'll help if you send them a picture and at least say yes, it would be good to bring her in or no, don't stress her and keep an eye out for this, that or the other...
I hope that your vet is willing to do something like that since it seems she's so close to her due date.
Thank you - I'm about 150 miles from DFW, unfortunately. I'll press harder if I notice it more prominently.

Curious: in reading about prolapse on other threads, I saw one person reference calcium deficiency as a possible contributing cause. Any thoughts on supplementing with calcium?

They have free choice alfalfa hay at all times, so I wouldn't think calcium is low...but we do have a lot of iron in the water.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I always give calcium with vitamin d gummies for a month before kidding but feeding alfalfa hay and pellets should help unless your area and doe is lacking in good minerals. Some does need more than others.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I always give calcium with vitamin d gummies for a month before kidding but feeding alfalfa hay and pellets should help unless your area and doe is lacking in good minerals. Some does need more than others.
I'll pick up some today, as were going in to town. They have minerals, but don't seem to take much (windstorm granules plus deer salt lick plus cobalt block). Love their alfalfa. I'm assuming I want to avoid artificial sweeteners? Anything else to watch out for, ingredient-wise?

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I'll pick up some today, as were going in to town. They have minerals, but don't seem to take much (windstorm granules plus deer salt lick plus cobalt block). Love their alfalfa. I'm assuming I want to avoid artificial sweeteners? Anything else to watch out for, ingredient-wise?
I use the vitafusion brand I get them at Sams Club I also have gotten them at GNC but they're more expensive. Just make sure there's no saccharine or aspertane (sp?) in them.. cane sugar or fructose is ok. I also throw a vitamin e gel cap into their daily grain too just because it helps the other vitamins work. I'm not sure if it helps 100% but Its never hurt them. I'm dry lotting my girls right now so I'm a bit over cautious too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
She gave the typical goat response to new food...but I crushed the tab and got it in her (and some replamin plus). I’ll keep after her with the calcium (I’m offering it to the other does, too...hoping they’ll learn quickly so I don’t have to crush/drench for everyone). My store didn’t have gummies without artificial sweeteners, so minty tums was the winner!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just to be sure I understand: 1000mg calcium every day for my pregnant does in the last ... how many weeks of pregnancy?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts