Getting dry goat ready for breeding...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FMW, Jul 31, 2020.

1. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    My dry goat is 3.5 years old and has not had a full-term, successful pregnancy. At 1.5 years old, she had babies born alive, but they were two weeks early. They didn't make it through the night :( I honestly believe the other goat we had caused her to go into early labor. She was vicious and aggressive. We hadn't owned her for very long and pretty much got rid of her after the dry goat gave birth two weeks early.

The next year, which was the fall of 2019, she was bred again, but one month later she started bleeding, which was in November. We tried to rebreed her in Dec-March, but nothing. Here we are again, and hope so much to get her bred and for her to have a successful birth! The vet isn't so hopeful about her chances because of her age. She looks great, the best ever since getting her in Oct of 2018. She has nice, soft pliable skin and actually gave us milk after her first birth. We milked her for several months and got around 4-5 cups a day. Her udder was so soft and the milk just fell out. She was the first goat we ever milked so we didn't know how easy we had it! Now that I'm milking our other goat, I see I was spoiled!

Has anyone had anything like this before? My vet doesn't feel too hopeful and thinks we should try giving her 5cc of tetracycline three times, 5 days apart from each administration. He suggested we do this when she goes into heat to breed her to our buck - likely the ND one.

Any thoughts??? I would love to get a doeling out of her and even have the opportunity to hand milk her again!!!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    How soon can a Nubian doe go into heat? Can it happen as early as the beginning of August? No signs currently...
    Also, I had given her a copper bolus about 4 months ago for the first time. It helped with turning her around. She was scruffy, etc... and now she is a smooth, shiny, beautiful black doe.

Should I give her another copper bolus? Lastly, I give her no selenium...should I give her some selenium gel??? She gets free choice Nature's Organics and Kelp, chaffhaye, BOSS, daily herb balls with garlic, and lots of pasture and free choice hay.

3. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    They suggest copper bolusing every 3 months, so maybe give her one again before breeding.

I would give her Selenium/Vit E. I use BO-SE, but the gels work well.

Replamine Plus gel works amazing for getting does in shape for breeding. It's a gel and contains most very important minerals.

Heat cycles can vary from doe to doe and from area to area. I have a couple who have started cycling, but are not showing a strong heat, 2 are Nubians and 1 is a Lamancha. The Nubis are 2 year olds, the Mancha is 6. I live in northern New England. Mine usually start showing a strong heat cycle in late August, but I wait until November for late spring kids. (Weather and my work schedule do not work well together.)

3.5 years is not an old doe. Hopefully with all that you are doing for her, she will cycle normally and settle/kid with healthy little ones!

HMNS likes this.
  4. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    What about this source of selenium offered as free choice?

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    This is me, others may disagree. I would give your doe oxytetracycline (LA-200 or Bio- Mycin) for 5-10 days to insure that she does not have Chlamidia. Then rebuild her rumen with probiotics, etc. She should then be in good shape to get preg and carry to term.
    You might also want to run a fecal to take care of any parasites before you breed her.

6. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
  7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would follow the advice of your vet. Sounds like he suspects chlamydia. Making sure her mineral uptake it good as well as mentioned above.

goatblessings likes this.
  8. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    That
    That's exactly what he's concerned about. From your experience with this disease, given proper management, is there a pretty good chance she could have a successful birth? Or chance of a successful birth remains small even with good nutrition and minerals and medication?

9. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
  10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    There are many studies showing successful full term pregnancies with la 200 protocol. I do believe there will need to be security measure to prevent the spread to others when she kids. The other goats should not come in contact with the birthing area, placenta and such. I would do lots of reading to be sure I had everything ready.

Best wishes

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    For selenium..ask your vet for BoSe injectable selenium. 1 cc per 40 pounds. Or you can do selenium paste monthly found at most feed stores..

12. I agree with this. I had a doe I used this one and she had a successful pregnancy.

Nubians vary in when heat starts depending on area. Bringing a stinky buck in or if you don't have a buck, get a smelly rag that's been rubbed on one, and let her smell it daily, that will help get her hormones going. Our Nubians came into heat in July this year. we're actually waiting for 2 more weeks to get them tested and see if they took, so far no return heats.

Our pre-breeding regimen is giving copper boluses, replamin loader dose and then weekly for a month, and MultiMin shot, hoof trims. We also boost up their feed more.

13. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Could I give the replamin and selenium gel together, or is that overkill?

14. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I know almost nothing about this disease. I have to spend some time to read and learn about it. Didn't realize it is contagious. It can be spread through secretions and blood?

happybleats likes this.
  15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes its a STD. Most likely from the buck she was exposed to.

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Ok, I've done some reading and I am more concerned now about Chlamydia...our dry goat with possible Chlamydia was bred with our current Nubian buck. Is it possible that she had given him Chlamydia last year? Should I have the two of them tested? How reliable of a test is it? I have another buck that I would prefer to breed her with, but I don't need her spreading disease!

18. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    The vet knows about the Nubian buck we have and that our dry goat was with him last and this year. The vet also knows that we will be using this same buck very soon. Isn't he concerned that the buck may have Chlamydia?

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  20. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I plan to do that. I'm calling the vet's office tomorrow morning. Thank you all!