Getting kids interested in grain.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by billmac, May 31, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    You're probably tired of hearing about my new goats, but I have another question. The 3 kids are about 6 weeks old. The buck and one doe are eating grain quite well, and I anticipate weaning them in about two weeks. The other doe, with whom we have struggled at bottle feeding time, absolutely loves hay and browse, but has almost no interest in grain. With perseverance we have gotten the same amount of milk into her than the other kids, but since the other kids have taken to the grain, they are growing faster than her.

Are there any tricks or tips on getting a kid interested in grain?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My kids are dam raised and usually eat from the same pan as mom at around 2 weeks old, then at around 5-6 weeks, I feed the kids separately so I can moniter their intake as well as watch them as mine have choked on the grain,this way I can clear an airway if they eat too fast.

Try a small amount in your hand for her, she'll nibble enough to get a taste for it. Some kids just aren't ready to try grain at such a young age.Also, if it's possible to leave a small amount out for her freechoice...might be difficult though since the other 2 are readily eating it, they may take it all from her.

3. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    She will nibble it, she just isn't interested.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Some will frown on this because of the added sugar, but it may entice her to eat more. Try a bit of molasses in her grain, enough to make it sticky but not goopy, the sweetness may get her to eat a bit more.