The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually we get about a cup off our FF, but today we only got about a half. Is it normal for them to go down in production sometimes? Her daughter is still nursing, she seems normal, and the milk smelled and looks fine. Just wondering if I should be worried or not.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
amount of milk depends on a lot of things. is she sick? does she have any parasites? are you putting baby up at night and milking her during the day? if not, baby is likely sucking momma dry. is she getting enough to eat and drink? has she subject to something stressful lately? stress decreases milk production as well.

so...lots to consider, but if everything I well and baby is put away at night, then I would guess she didn't get enough to eat or drink yesterday to make milk for you.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
amount of milk depends on a lot of things. is she sick? does she have any parasites? are you putting baby up at night and milking her during the day? if not, baby is likely sucking momma dry. is she getting enough to eat and drink? has she subject to something stressful lately? stress decreases milk production as well.

so...lots to consider, but if everything I well and baby is put away at night, then I would guess she didn't get enough to eat or drink yesterday to make milk for you.
I do put her kid up at night, and no parasites that I can tell. She's been wormed within the last month. She hasn't had anything stressful happen, she's been as happy as usual. But, yesterday it did rain here so she had to stay in. I left her hay, but she just picked though it.. Usually she does get out and eat grass most of the day, so I think you're onto something. Thanks :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
yep...that sounds like it might be it! so if she gets more food today and water, she should be good to go!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts