Getting my Buck in the mood.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Lexibot, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    My 7 month old buck doesn't seem too excited to mount my females. This could be that they aren't in season yet, but I had one in there for over a month, and not once did I see them mate together...

I just put another female in the pen, their tails twitched, and they "fought", he seemed to "expose" himself, but didn't try mounting... :(

Are goats known to be shy? How would I increase my buck's "eagerness"? We're really hoping to see him prove himself as he's our only buck at the moment.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well some bucks are shy. Others only show interest when the does are in season. If he is peeing on himself that means he knows what to do. Just have to wait for the does to actually come into heat

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have had bucks not interested in breeding up to a year old...so I think it can really depend on the buck, but when a doe is in standing heat I have seen most bucks go nuts trying to breed...even little weanling bucks (but I do have nigerians and they're known to be a bit more horny than most...from what i've heard)

The best way to see if he will really want to breed is to seperate him to where the does are right next to his pen so if they come in heat he will know and when he wants to get to them and they are standing for him let him in with the doe and he should get the job done. Make sure he doesn't get pushed around by the doe so he won't become discouraged. He is still young so you may have to wait awhile longer til he will breed successfully.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    speak their language... aka blubber to him.. lol i just love to blubber at the bucks it gets them all wound up

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others.... :wink:

He could be shy.... not wanting to be watched.....doing the deed ...when ya aren't lookin..... :laugh:

Say..... what~!.... what~!...

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    whoaaa! wha wha? kissy kissy :greengrin:

7. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    maybe a nice bottle of champagne, a little mood music..... okay kidding. Seven months may be a little young. He knows what he wants to b=do, but may not have completely figured it all out yet. Maybe a little more time?

8. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks, a few months ago, he was spraying on himself, so perhaps my females aren't in the mood...

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :laugh:

He is young.... he needs the stink perfume to charm the does...LOL
    He will catch on eventually.... Maybe try him 1 on 1 and see if that helps...the doe has to be in standing heat... for him to want to do the deed and be serious about it.... :wink:

10. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Yes, I kept ONE doe in with him for a month, she's young too though, perhaps she's not ready about yet. At the moment, I have a 3 year old with him, maybe she will go in heat and THAT will spark his interest! \o/

If not... we'll get another male.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Maybe he isn't a champagne kind of guy... maybe a can of PBR and shot of wild turkey to get him going?

:ROFL:

13. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    :dance: :p
    Good Luck!

14. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks for the good lucks :)