Getting my first angora today!

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by kritterkeeper, Apr 20, 2010.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I am so excited :cool: we are getting our first angora girl today.. she was born last summer in June sometime, I saw her a week or so after she was born and the lady let my daughter carry her in the 4of July parade with our 4H club and I told her then if she ever wanted to give her up I would love to have her..

Well ran in to her at Wal-mart yesterday and she has been getting rid of her goats one by one- and every time she thought of this little one she thought of us because she new she would be going to a good home..

and the best part is she is all Black... the lady that has her said both parents were white so when she was born she was quit surprised.

She did say it is about time to shear her, hoping she will have time to show me how to do that at some point....

Any thing I should know about taking care of her?

At current we have 2 diary doe (not milking), 1 boar doe, 2 dairy weathers, 3 pygmy does, 1 boar weather ---so angora will be new to us...

So excited will post pictures today.... :wahoo:

Donna B

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

3. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Congrats! :stars: Sounds like the placement was meant to be.

Angoras are delightful. I have 3 and what I've found is they're less active and not as boinky as other breeds, extremely intelligent (quick learners), very playful (all 3 of mine play with dog toys) and a little higher maintenance for all the fleece.

Baled hay/alfalfa + Angora heavy in fleece = one giant tangled wad of debri-ridden mohair. <lol> You'll see. Consequently, we don't let ours free range/browse. Instead we give them fresh clippings daily and they only get baled or non-pelletized hay/alf when freshly shorn. We only turn them out on leash or with my choredog along to keep them in line.

Be sure to post some pics when you get her home. I absolutely :love: the blacks!

Deb Mc

4. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Thank you all so much!

can't wait till 6:30

Donna B

5. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    congratulations, they are a lovely goat... :) and as she's black she is extra special :)

6. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    She asked if I could wait till Friday- because she wanted to give her stuff for flees and worm her... So two more days to wait...

Donna

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How cool is that? Doesn't the lord work in mysterious ways?

I have several 4H kids that have Angora goats and all their goats free range. Matter of fact the more they do that the less vegetable matter they get. If you put a coat on them, that can also help protect the fleece.

So are you going to learn how to spin?

8. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    Lori, did you get more fiber kids this year? I haven't even asked you lol

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sammy, I did. I have two boys, but now I am thinking they are going to drop. They bought Casanova from Mary Kay and Taylor's two does and Denise's Minnie.

I also have two Pee Wee's that will be of age next year. You know Kayleigh and then Maddie Buckner Erika's sister.

I also have one new girl. She is a Interm. She showed Hope last year for me at State and she was hooked. I am bringing up Maddie this weekend to use becasue she bought one of Taylor's baby and she is not quite ready.

10. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    Oh wow! I liked Cassanova's color, but as I recall he was mean. Didn't he about kill their black angora buck? Are the perses still in the fiber project?

I can't wait to see Maddy, she is so pretty. I asked Kathy if I could be in the ring with her if that's ok with you. I like to see what people look for when they are judging.

Why do you think they will drop?

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    congrats on the new addition!
    one thing I've heard about keeping their fiber clean is feeding Chaffhaye, just chopped, alfalfa haylage. I bought some from an angora breeder and they love it.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats...that is so exciting... :thumb: :clap:

13. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I'm sure it depends on the type of vegetation and shrubbery that's available, as well as the fleece itself. Here in the foothills of the Sonoran Desert the natural vegetation tends to be prickly and much of it is unsuitable for ruminents anyway. It's also way too hot most of the year to cloak a goat. The breeder of my doeling has a big fiber farm down in Tucson and she only feeds pelletized hay/alf as their climate and terrain is very similiar to ours, maybe not quite as hot.

Deb Mc

14. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    that works because that is what we feed all our goats, most days.... they waste less of it, then bailed hay..

Donna B