The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a laugh with me or I might cry post lol also you young people enjoy being young!! :p
I am a pretty active person just with my day to day chores. But I must admit it has been a long time since I have put some major miles in a saddle, or on foot.
So yesterday and the day before I have been helping my parents gather cattle since my husband is on vacation and can be the taxi driver for my son. The first day I pull my old mare out and saddle her up. We rode up this mountain and found some cows. A example of what is as like, if you look at the closest mountain in this picture you can see the meadow and that is where we found them. We get them down and it’s getting dark. We tried to set up the portable corral but the battery was dead. We didn’t want to loose them so I offered to just walk them in on foot. 6.3 miles later and I got them!
Cloud Sky Plant Horse Ecoregion

The next morning I am sore but off i saddle up and take off. I find some tracks and am following them. This is all where we had that major fire last year. Where it didn’t burn too hot, enough to burn the young trees up, it cause them to kinda curl over. In this picture you see what I’m talking about
Sky Cloud Wood Larch Natural landscape

One of those stupid trees got the hood of my vest. I tried to stop my old mare but I’m 99% sure she laughed at me as she kept going. So down I went. I jokingly tell people that once I hit 30 I learned I didn’t bounce any more. Yep still don’t bounce. So I was pretty much done for but still went on. 8 ours later and im hating life. We get all the cows loaded and went home.
This morning I turned the big 37. I woke up stiff and sore. Im debating on getting out of bed or spending the day in bed lol and I hear my chickens and turkeys going off. I stiffly roll over and look out the window and another dang coyote is trying to get in! So I suck it up and take off running threw the house to get a gun. Hit my beautiful hard wood floor and down I went. Hurt my knee but im going to kill this sucker so jump up and hobble to the gun case and grab a gun. Well guess my eyes also aged badly as well because I missed the dang thing!
I have to check on some cows in another field so I hit the market for something for my knee because this is what I have going on
Muscle Human body Knee Human leg Elbow
patch myself up in the parking lot and off I go. Get there and the trough is only half way full. Walk the pipe line and find a break. Get that all fixed up and head home. Turkeys are going off so I, slowly this time, get the gun and go outside. Dang hawk got one of the chickens. At this point I’m over the day. I just want to feed the cows and go to bed.
I feed the cows, and my husband asks what I want for dinner. He takes my birthday more serious then I do. So he gets me some BBQ. I eat and go to put the left overs and their awesome BBQ sauce away and drop the sauce. He sees I’m done and going to blow so sends me to bed so here I am drinking a margarita and hoping 37 is not as cursed as it’s letting on to be :p

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Oh no. I did chuckle reading it and cringed too. I’ve had those days. If your misery would like some company, the last time I unintentionally left a saddle, I was about 35 and bucked off a cinchy horse that I mistakenly let someone else saddle. And it was witnessed by a handful of people I barely knew, so of course I had to act as fine as possible. Oh man, I was hurting and continued to be sore for weeks.

Maybe you were getting all the cruddy luck out of the way early, so you can more fully enjoy your 37th year of life.

I do have to say, after all that, dropping the sauce would have been my tipping point and I probably would have lost my mind.

We share a birthday month (I’ll be turning 43 next week) so I’m further down this road. Anyway, I hoped the margaritas helped make it a somewhat happy birthday.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Ouch!
Happy Birthday!
I prescribe Advil and a long soak in the tub....yep, it sucks getting old...just wait till you hit 60. LOL
Ranchers and farmers are the toughest folks I know. You just keep doing what needs done...it just gets done slower as you get older. 🤫🥺
In a couple of years you’ll wish you could do as much as you do now!

Hang in there!

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
I admit..I giggled. Some days we should just stay in bed!! Happy Birthday!!
Yesterday was my hubs and my 41st anniversary. We share a good day 😁 so guess I'm old enough to be your mother 😅🤣

·
Super Moderator
14,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No no I’m not going to think about 60s. My mom swears 40 was when things went south for her so I don’t even want to look past that right now lol
Fizzygoat what day is your birthday? I was 30 the last time I got bucked off. I have to admit that hurt a lot worse then this and I had softer ground. That was when I came to the conclusion I don’t bounce any more.
But today is off to a better start. I got up early to watch for the coyote so no racing threw the house lol as long as I can get everything ready for this storm without getting hurt it will be a great day lol
And thank you for the birthday wishes. I hope 38 is better :p

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Aw come on... I had my daughter 2 months before my 40th and compared to now, it was a piece of cake lol. Sixty isn’t horrible because you have (hopefully) learned to work smarter, rather than harder.
As long as you take care of yourself, allow yourself to heal now instead of powering through things you’ll still be riding into your later years.
Quick story...My grandfather rode his horse until two weeks before his 88th birthday. The only reason he stopped is his “new” Young doctor told him to get a flu shot (1st ever) and he got Gillian Barrett syndrome and darn near died from it....his advice, stick with old school tried and true and let your body do what it needs to to get better....
So, here’s to a wonderful year and many more to come 😃

·
Super Moderator
14,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awww your grandpa sounds like he was great. I definitely like his advise! I like old school tried and true. Yes there are a lot of new ideas and information out there with everything but I sure like most of the old school stuff lol but sometimes I feel like I have the kind of a child and soul of a old woman :p
Thank you toth

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
Well now I just feel silly. My body feels pretty darn old from shoveling compost by hand all morning and I'm only 22 😝. That's it, no more complaining from me about how tired/sore I feel until I'm actually old enough to justify it. 😅

Well anyway, Happy Birthday, Jessica, even though by the sound of it it hasn't been a very happy one so far! 😉

·
8,472 Posts
Happy Birthday, Jessica! Hopefully you got all the aches and pains out of the way now- so you have a great upcoming year!

I can still outwork my grown kids- Oldest just turned 40. It just takes a little longer and I don't run or throw hay! I always say that I don't have
to run fast, only faster than the other person if being chased by a bear, (none around here) wolf (none, either) or a scary turkey!
As far as falling off a horse- or even riding one- youch, it's been awhile- I rode for 40+ years, show, rodeo, lessons, pleasure, etc.
Then things changed, grandmother died who owned my horse barn, evil Aunt took it over, so horses all sold and I've been afoot for quite awhile.

Something all you youngsters should know about getting old- take care of your back now! Seriously- I wish I had listened to that when I was 20. Lift
with your legs, hold the load close to your body and don't sit around alot. Keep moving and eat as well as you try and feed your animals!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Fizzygoat what day is your birthday? I was 30 the last time I got bucked off. I have to admit that hurt a lot worse then this and I had softer ground. That was when I came to the conclusion I don’t bounce any more.
Mine is the 27th. And I was bucked off in an arena, so soft ground, and my body made a divot down right through the disced dirt to the core of the earth (slight exaggeration), so I don’t bounce either. 🤣

Well now I just feel silly. My body feels pretty darn old from shoveling compost by hand all morning and I'm only 22 . That's it, no more complaining from me about how tired/sore I feel until I'm actually old enough to justify it.
You’re the age of my youngest and I always shush him when he starts to complain about being sore. I swear he has more aches and pain than I do. Lol.

Keep moving and eat as well as you try and feed your animals!
Oh man, that’s advice I should take. I’m so picky about my animals’ food and sadly know more about their nutritional needs than my own.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
My oldest is 40 and my youngest is 15 and we have every age between. I'm normally in very good health with little complaints. Doing 30+goats hooves in one day... These last few years kicked my butt, but I'm fighting back. I'm planning to run my farm solo when my last kiddos heads off in the world so I better be ready. 💪

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,169 Posts
Happy Birthday my dear friend. All I can say is I was 42, still doing competition rides, when my body decided ...if you fall off a horse, clearing that 6ft rail. You dont stand right back up. You crawl around trying to breathe. Yep...some of us are just stubborn. I still ride for pleasure. But the last time I went trail riding I was in my 50s, and my mare bumped a tree with a huge wasp nest in it. That was a fun ride fir sure. She could pass all the other horses going down that hillside. She had 18 wasp stings on her,I had 5. We looked like beat up 💩
So been there. Just use alot of salon pas on the sore muscles & your young & quick to recover! Lol💝
Hope you have a great year. Maybe you got thru all the yucky stuff that 1st day!

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
First. Happy lateish birthday!!! Yes. Gettin old is for the birds! Any tinny booboo seems such a bit one now a days for us too lol! Takes forever to heal if you didnt mess up something really well and need to see the dumb doc. Oye! Then you get the visit from “aurthur”... he is the one thing i most hate i think. He is the cause of a lot of the old fart miseries. Let hubby baby you for a day or two! Sounds like he can make sure everyone is fed and that is what matters right. Hope the knee a d soreness goes away soon.

·
Super Moderator
14,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GoatsRock YES!!! I remember as a kid my grandma telling me to do this and also take care of my body because one day it will catch up to me. I did NOT take the lifting with your legs serious at all, and of course I was young and just couldn’t imagine her being right. I really wish I had listened to her. Yes I am still considered fairly young but I was a walking accident. I was ran over at 5, shattered my right pelvis down to my pubic bone. My spine and pelvis actually came apart. They had to reset me and since they couldn’t just stick me in a cast they drilled pins threw my knees with cables that went up and then down and attached to weights to keep me in position. If anyone should have listened to her I really should have lol
MellonFriend you have every right to complain. I hate having to do a physically intense chore that I don’t normally do. You use muscles that you don’t everyday. Here soon I will be complaining about cutting wood. But by the end of winter it’s going to be no big deal, then repeat next year :p
Goofygoat my son gets cocky at me every now and then. He just did tonight while covering the hay. Needless to say by the time we got done I told him not to forget I may be a girl but I am still stronger then you are lol
And you will do it happybleats! I have no doubt. A lot of the cow responsibilities have been handed down to me. At first I was like how can I do that with 2 younger kids!? But I have learned just a few changes and smart thinking goes a long ways to make things easier.
Oh gosh Moers. Before the fire there were yellow jackets so bad every summer. We would go along and we would see the cows run with their tails up. We knew what it was. When the Forrest is badly over grown there is only one trail so no going around the nest. We would have to wait until the cows got ahead and run as fast as the horses would go and hope they didn’t get stung. Sometimes it worked and other times we held on for dear life. My favorite though is when we are riding along and come across a rattle snake. Horses almost jump out from under you (or they do and result in broken arm number two lol) and your just trying to find the dang thing to know which way to get away from it.
Sfwife we have a big storm coming in so I plan on doing very little the next few days. Unless we flood, which there is a good chance of that happening. The goats have a big square bale, 6” in 2 days should help with the watering and all the birds have barrels full of food. I saw that Netflix had Cold Mountain to watch so that is my plan for tomorrow :p

1 - 20 of 95 Posts