Getting Ready!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by OurJourneysEnd, Sep 11, 2010.

1. OurJourneysEnd

OurJourneysEnd New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Caro, MI
    My two goats were tested and this past week they came back negative for CAE, CL and Johne's. Whew!

And with that, I can now start looking for a boyfriend for Aggy. I know which farm I'm using and have an idea which little man I like for her...but will know better when I get to see him and the other bucks in person.

The owner of the farm is a lovely woman who is a WEALTH of goaty knowledge. She actually came out to my place and looked at Aggy and could explain the lines and body parts and all those little things that I seriously think you NEED someone to show and explain to you on your own goat. When she left, I can say I probably knew 110% more about my Nigerian than I did before she came over. She was able to show me Aggy's strong points and her weaker points. While I would never say I'm an expert (still so much to learn), I feel that I can make some educated decisions that I wouldn't have been able to make before in regards to breeding Aggy. So BLESS YOU to everyone who takes the time to explain and show things to newbies.

Once I have picked out Aggy's boyfriend, I'm hoping to be able to breed her next month. This is a pretty exciting time. Looking forward to having our first little goat babies ruling the roost here. Woohoo!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    cool beans -- sounds exciting. Glad someone was so helpful for you

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good for you! It's a great and rare thing to have a mentor....and a sincere "goat" buddy. Good to hear that your herd came back negative, and that you are taking your time and being choosy as far as who the lucky boy will be.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    so neat..... there is nothing better.... :thumb: :hug: