The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Raleigh, NC. I have a farm in Franklin County I will retire on. I have a large, fenced back yard and would like to get a small male and a female to have here (for milk and breed) then grow to farm size in a few years. What are some good books to read up on? And is there a list of local breeders to go to for stock?
Thanks,
Chip

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Hello Chip :wave:
Welcome to TGS.

Small scale is the better way to start, however it may be better to start with 2 bred does or 2 open does and finding a buck service. Having a buck and doe penned together can cause issues when the time comes for the doe to deliver, and if you plan to milk your doe he can cause the milk to be offensive and he can breed her too soon after delivery.
I have Nigerian Dwarf goats and am biased when it comes to advice on which breed to choose :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
My favorite goat book is Story's "Raising Dairy Goats" by Jerry Belanger. I refer to it often. Congratulations on your decision to have goats! Its amazing how quickly the herd grows.

Like Liz said, keeping a buck with a doe can have some negative effects, so he will need a buddy as will she until she has her kids. If you find a good breeder, they may allow you to bring does back to get bred so you don't have to keep a buck (they can be challenging and stinky). I had leased bucks until this last year, so that may be a possibility for you as well.

As to breeds, all you can do is research and visit breeders to decide which one's strike your fancy and meets your goals. I prefer the Nubians, they produce higher milk fat though not as large of quantity as let's say an alpine, but the downside they are the noisiest of the dairy breeds (or so I've been told). So I'm biased on breeds...lol I love those pendulous ears, varied colors/patterns and the roman noses.

Good luck and welcome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.