Getting these kids on bottle

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by AlaskaBoers, Feb 23, 2011.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hey
    So I split up the Alpine kids, and pulled the lamancha buck off my boer doe. I'm bottle feeding them now..or at least trying.
    I took me 2 days with the younger alpine and the lamancha, they caught on quick when they realized they didn't have anything else to eat.
    But the 10 minute older Alpine kid, is so stubborn, he's fighting it all the way. I force his mouth open and stick it in..he'll chew on it but not latch. I have to forcibly hold him by his head to even get him to stand there, the others will run to me. gaah, so frustrating.
    He's getting skinnier every time I go out and try, it's his own fault. He'd rather SCREAM in agony instead of just latch on and drink.'

any suggestions?

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Either tube him or use a syringe to dribble it in for now, or a pritchard nipple? I've never had success with the pritchards but I bet you will.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah I'm using pritchards now
    works awesome, except for this kid

4. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Maybe make a bigger hole in your nipple. We just got a 3 week buck and a 2 week old doe onto bottles with a lamb nipple that had a good sized hole on it, so when you put it in their mouth keep hour hand cupped over and clamp them down a couple times to try to get the sucking motion the best you can.

5. quakingcanopy

quakingcanopy New Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    If you don't want to loose him hold a doe still and let him fill up once a day, and keep at practicing with the bottle the rest of the day. I have a little whether I once had to hold his head between my calves, open his mouth, put the bottle in, and let more the half of it stream down my legs and all over his chest. But after 2 weeks he started latching! Lil bugger!!

6. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Bigger nipple hole always works with me. Let it drip or lightly pour in his mouth, he should realize after 2 feedings TOPS. I have fed like 20 bottle babies in this last year, and none of them went hungry over 24 hours.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Some no matter what you do won't take the bottle.... :( Maybe train him to a bucket.....

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i got them to all take it after 3 days. whew, way too much work!

9. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Mmhm, bottle babies are a mess if you let them be with mama! :)

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I had a buckling take 3 days to get on the bottle...he REFUSED....but I didn't give up...every couple of hours I'd go out and give him a dropper full of formula then give him the bottle...he finally got hungry enough and once that happened he went to town on his bottle...I thought I would lose him but I didn't. They won't let themselves die. :) Persistence is a MUST though.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh thank goodness...congrats.... :hi5: :leap: