Getting this milk thing going

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by BeeLady, Jun 11, 2009.

1. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I have been studying earlier posts to see if I am getting my FFs off to a good dairy start. Kids were born around May 1, 2009.

Liz and Stacey have post the most about separating the kids from the does at night. Seems as if both Liz & Stacey strip out the does after they separate the kids. So I should strip them out at night?

Second, I have been putting the kids outside of site, and out of the same barn as the does. They can hear each other and the does are familiar with the pen where the kids are but do you think the does would be calmer at milk time if their kids were in the same barn and within sight?

I may be grasping as straws here to try and get more milk from my does so soon, but if there is anything I can do to encourage them to become good milkers, I want to do it.

THanks.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The stripping after separating empties the udder, so that you can get a 12 hour fill.

Your kids are about 4 1/2 weeks old so mom is still very attached to them try bringing them closer so mom can see that they are ok. It may help with letdown.
    When I separate, my mommies are housed next to the "kid prison" at night, it's easier for me to get them milked without the dry does fighting them to get in the shed, after each doe gets her grain and is milked, they get their babies back. I am thinking that one of your does is a FF? FF sometimes won't reach their full potential in capacity until the 2nd freshening, and keep in mind that they don't reach peak production til around 8 weeks fresh.
    It's at 6 to 7 weeks that I keep kids separated for 2 milkings, since I milk at 4 am and 4 pm, it's the morning milking that I get less from them because I let the kids with the moms from 4pm til around 9 pm, by the time they leave at 8 weeks they are almost fully weaned....and all kids I've had here have been on hay, browse and grain by the time they are 3 weeks, they eat right along with mom.