Getting Worried, please help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama2, Mar 6, 2009.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Our baby Alyssum was born a week ago Monday. She's sturdy and has been eating great. Last night she seemed like she was all of a sudden having trouble with the nipple on the bottle; normally she goes right at it! I think I've seen people write in about this before, but can't remember the suggestions. I don't want to lose this little girl! She seems otherwise healthy and active. Thanks, please help. Brooke :sigh:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Does she have a normal temp? Stool? Is she peeing? How much are you feeding her at a time?

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What is her temp?

What is her gum color?

What is her eye lid color?

Is she pooping?

Is she peeing?

Is her tummy soft or hard?

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did you give her any bose? I might try giving her some of that.

5. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    She is pooping and peeing fine, lids seem okay. I am going to go out and give her Bo-Se, 1/2 cc because I realized I forgot all about it earlier. I was also wondering...we had just moved her to our kid pen in our cellar last night because she'd been in our big dog crate and we felt she needed more room. Maybe she just was really lonely after having all of us around? Could she have gotten depressed? I will see how she does with her noon bottle, too. I can't stand the thought of her getting sick! She was born so strong and healthy!

6. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Well we put Alyssum out with some of the older does, and she was sooo happy. My husband and I just went out to give her the Bo-Se and she took the bottle like a pro. I'm really thinking she was very upset at being put in the basement.
    Now a new problem! After giving her the shot, I noticed a bit of blood in the syringe. I very likely hit a vein! What now? What will happen to her? Golly, worrying is fast becoming my new hobby...

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did you pull back on the syringe and see blood, but give it anyway? Or did you see blood on the end of the needle after you took it out?

If she nothing has happened yet I wouldn't worry too much, but keep an eye on her.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I think she will be fine. What I always do is pull back on the syringe when I stick them. That way if you are in a vain you can move it.

I bet she will be fine. She just needed a friend of her own to play with.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you hit a vein...it would be almost instantaneous... if something was going to happen to her....
    so if she is still fine I would think she should be OK....

She did sound like she was not happy about being in the basement .....hope things will continue to go good for her.....Maybe give her some nutra drench as well... :wink:

10. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I usually pull back a little, too, but I didn't do it this time. My brain is fried. The blood was IN the syringe, not on the needle. Have I put her in danger? I only gave her 1/2 cc since she's so young...ugh!

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She should be fine if nothing has happened yet.

I know I've done the same where you sometimes forget to draw back. It happens. Don't beat yourself up over it. :hug:

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What breed is she?

On my nigis, I only give 0.05 - 0.10 per kid

On my Boer X - I gave her 0.15

13. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    She is an alpine/nubian mix. I just went to check on her and she's running around having a grand old time, wondering what all the fuss is about. In another day or so she'll have some little playmates and won't feel quite so small! Thanks to everyone; I think we're over the hump, as long as she continues to take her bottle. I'm also giving her a bit less than I was before. Thanks again, you all are the best! :thumb:

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    glad she is OK....if she gets to where she doesn't want the bottle...take her temp first...if she doesn't have a temp.... a shot of vit b complex will help with appetite.....good luck..... :greengrin:

15. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thanks Pam, I'll do that. I had just bought a new digital thermometer and we took it out with us, but we couldn't figure out how to turn the darned thing on until we got back in the house! Technology sure does make life easier, doesn't it? Ha! Will let y'all know if the problem isn't resolved. Brooke

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    So glad to hear she is fine. :leap: