The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 6 week old nigerian dwarf buck kid that I’ve had since 1 week old. Since having him he seems to have constant GI problems he’s either constipated or has loose stool and lately it’s just constantly loose. At first I thought it was the raw goat milk so I switched him to whole milk but nothing seems to help. He’s only had normal pelleted poop a handful of times. I’ve done fecals on him and all are negative except last week he had a decent amount of coccidia eggs on the slide so I put him on sulfamed for 5 days and it cleared it up. I’ve tried spectoguard and Pepto bismol for the loose stool and neither helps, I’ve also put him on electrolytes but it doesn’t seem to effect the consistency of his stool. He maintains a good temp and his famancha is a bright pink. He’s active and usually takes a bottle good but will sometimes refuse. He is steady gaining weight, he averages a little over a 1lb a week. He’s had access to medicated starter pellets and hay since about 3 weeks old but barely picks at either. I’m not sure what else I can do to try and get his GI tract back to normal.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Do you have access to goats colostrum? Either fresh or frozen is fine. Not the replacer stuff. If you can get some..feed him 1/2 oz 2 x a day for a week and see how he does. Colostrum is great for healing the gut. I would also keep him on goats milk over cows if you have it, other wise the cows milk is fine.
He should also get probiotics daily. Add a pinch of baking soda in first bottle of the day and probiotics in his last. Colostrum can be added to his bottle as well. Let s see how that helps heal things.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have access to goats colostrum? Either fresh or frozen is fine. Not the replacer stuff. If you can get some..feed him 1/2 oz 2 x a day for a week and see how he does. Colostrum is great for healing the gut. I would also keep him on goats milk over cows if you have it, other wise the cows milk is fine.
He should also get probiotics daily. Add a pinch of baking soda in first bottle of the day and probiotics in his last. Colostrum can be added to his bottle as well. Let s see how that helps heal things.
I don’t have access to any colostrum and all my does are currently dry so I don’t have any raw goat milk I can give him. He’s been on probios on and off the past 5 weeks but since being treated with sulfamed he has been on it daily for 7 days now. I’ll add the baking soda to his next bottle and see if he’ll drink it. He refused his bottle this morning.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
The whole cows milk is fine.. Make sure your not over feeding him. Weigh him and multiply that by 16 to get his weight in oz..then multiply that by 10% to see how much per day he needs..then divide that by 3 feedings.

Maybe ask around your goat community to see if anyone has colostrum in ther freezer. I always save a little from each doe..im betting others do too. Can ask on FB goat site in your area.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
When feeding him..feel his tummy when he's done eating. You want a flat but firm tummy..not too poochy and not sunken in. Adjust milk amount accordingly. Re weigh baby every few days and re adjust milk amount.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve been putting the baking soda in his first bottle everyday since recommended and then doing probiotics with the last bottle but neither seems to be helping. He’s still having dark loose stool. I’ve currently only got injectable vitamin B, could I give that orally to him? He has been staying out with the other goats more and has started to eat browse. He also seems a little bit more interested in his pellets and hay.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
The b complex really needs to be injected. Remind me, has a fecal been done? Often when scours won't stop we check for Giardia. A fecal should tell you but need to ask your vet or person doing fecal to check specifically for it.
Add fresh raw garlic daily. Blend a few cloves up with olive oil and feed him 1/2 teaspoon paste 4 times a day. I would add Slippery elm to the paste if you can find it. Pharmacies carry capsules you can upen up and pour in the paste.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The b complex really needs to be injected. Remind me, has a fecal been done? Often when scours won't stop we check for Giardia. A fecal should tell you but need to ask your vet or person doing fecal to check specifically for it.
Add fresh raw garlic daily. Blend a few cloves up with olive oil and feed him 1/2 teaspoon paste 4 times a day. I would add Slippery elm to the paste if you can find it. Pharmacies carry capsules you can upen up and pour in the paste.
I do fecals on him every few weeks. He had a fecal about 2 weeks ago and had a decent amount of coccidia eggs on the slide so I treated him with sulfamed and did another fecal 3 days after treatment. He still had a few eggs on the slide but it was a lot less. He only had the coccidia eggs though, I didn’t see anything else

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Yes you can use valbazen 1 cc per 10 pounds for 5 days in a row. Some say 3 days but I would do 5.
Fecal test for giardia I believe is a Elisa test.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He finally had solid stool last night it’s still not completely pellets but it’s getting there. The day I started the treatment for giardia I also gave draxxin incase of Ecoli so I’m not sure which one worked for him.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Glad he's improving. Good job

1 - 19 of 19 Posts