The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our road island red hens laid this egg yesterday. It's HUGE!! I haven't cracked it yet so I'm curious to see if we have a single/double or perhaps a triple yolk?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
That is a big egg.... Our Red Stars laid huge eggs but not that big, they were very often double yolked. I don't think we ever had a triple yolker, even when the eggs were larger they were still usually doubled or just one huge yolk.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'd blow out that egg and save it for posterity...hang it on the christmas tree or something. You poke a tiny hole in each end with a pin and blow the insides into a bowl from one end....then youcan flush the inside with a syringe full of water with soap, let it dry, and you have a memento

·
2,203 Posts
At least a double, you might have an egg inside of an egg there actually. We had two this past year!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd blow out that egg and save it for posterity...hang it on the christmas tree or something. You poke a tiny hole in each end with a pin and blow the insides into a bowl from one end....then youcan flush the inside with a syringe full of water with soap, let it dry, and you have a memento
That's such a good idea!! I will have to try that! Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Wow that is big I occasionally get large double yolks from my mixed flock. I did find one that big once it was huge but only a single big yoke. My mom aware a turkey had to sneak in and Kay it lol.
So what did you find inside that monster

·
2,203 Posts
I decided to have it for breakfast. It was just a double!
Looks like curiosity killer the cat! Looks like it was a yolk/white and a yolk all inside a big white! Weird. Hope that made sense? Lol

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
We've had eggs that big, our Rhode Islands give us giant eggs every now and then, they're always an interesting find!

Hope it was good! :) mmm

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My only laying pullet right now (red sex link) gave me a big egg today, but not that big. Everybody else in the hen house seems to be determined not to lay or molting right now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts