Gigi acting queer

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Nov 10, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok so yesterday Gigi was standing in the corner in the sun all hunched with her tail down. I fed her and did all my normal feeding rutine. She ate her grain thought not as fast as she usually does.

I had only a small amount of time before work so I checked her temp like 5 times it was 100.2 or somethign like that. Then I gave her nutri drench -3cc was the biggest syringe I could find, and some fastrack jumpstart gel. everyone else was around 101.5

that was round 9:30am

I got home at 5:30pm and checked her temp, it was up to 100.7 or somethign like that and she was acting her old self. Temp outside had dropped and there was no sun so I was feeling pretty good about her situation. gave her more nutri drench

This mornign she was acting her same self and I didnt give her any grain (no one got grain)but fed hay and let them out to browse in the dog pen for dried leaves and put some hay out for them while I cleaned out their pen.

Cleaning their pen was a MUCH MUCH over due chore so it took me most of the day. During that time I noticed her going down hill again. So about 30 minutes ago I checked her temp again and it was 100.0 checked this a couple times. I checked everyone else and they were 101.2 or higher I think Sweet pea was like 101.7

so I checked Angie one more time and she was 100.4 gave her more nutri drench and jump start gel

She is back to being hunched all puffy with her tail down and not real interested in eating.

Any ideas?

Oh she has been in heat before and hasnt acted like this ever at all. She isnt pregnant --- no bucks around. and there hasnt been a change in feed.

Can cocci show up like this? delt with coccidia quite a bit this year. vet said to treat with corid every 3 months but I was lax about it so I started treatment today.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like gut problems .....because of going sub temp.......Try probiotic paste and baking soda...no grain..

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If you can run a fecal on her I would.

You know the mixture to get temps up, I might give her some of that.

Any runny nose or anything? How have the temps been there? Has she gotten into any new grain or anything?

Always feel free to call me. Hopefully she will be fine tomorrow. :hug:

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh Should have mentioned i have seen her chew cud both days and eating which I did say.

Havent seen her poop but once, but running a fecal is on the agenda but she wont poop when I am around grr

I dotn have anythign but coffee in the house of the "mixture" :roll: even that I dont know if we have any made up.

toth boer --- the jumpstarte gel is like a probiotic but is a microbiotic that is living organisms works just the same with added benifits :D

Temps are in the mid 30s at night and recently dropped to the 50's during the day (like today that would be) yesterday was beautiful

The past week though was all rain! rained or threatened to rain for an entire week, rather depressing. Past two days have been sunny though.

will check for some berries from her here in a second

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I find that if I take them out for a little walk they will make pebbles for me. My evil little secret. lol

Some b-complex might help, but if she is chewing cud and everything then I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Even just the coffee will help. Maxinne stole some coffee grounds off the floor when I had her in the house. I spilled some and she was into them before I could get them all up. yucky!

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh........ I didn't know that..about jumpstart never used it myself...thanks for the info ....... :wink:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like you have given her enough to help her, I wouldn't know what else to try...though it does sound like she chilled, likely from the dampness and cold temps. If she'll let you, try giving her a vigorous brushing...it may help warm her up.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    has she been wormed? How are her gums...?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok went out to check on her -- she was laying down in the barn but so were 2 of the other does

She reluctantly followed me into the back and I fed her some grain with some fastrack. She perked up some and her tail went up for a little bit. Jitterbug (aka Hope) enjoyed some grain with her and I was hoping Gigi would poo for me but she didnt.

I took them both back to their pen and watched Gigi but she just staired back at me. goofy thing.

So I played with my dog a bit and kept an eye on her and she was watching me but standing their hunched a little.

my mom was like well I dont know, never would have thought to take a goats temp when they were acting strange. So she isnt any help this time around, she usually is.

Will try some coffee if we have some, might mix some mollasses water up too.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry missed this.

Um she hasnt been wormed recently --- didnt check gums but her eye lids are nice and pink.

oh and I do believe she is in heat. But even Ashely can attest to the fact that she doesnt act like this when in heat. She was quite alert and fine the last time she was in heat -- Oct 25th

adding a picture of her

Attached Files:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Stacey, The hunching is causing a red flag for me. That and the temp going down.

I would for sure get a fecal on her. If you walk behind a goat for just a bit they will drop some berries for you.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    tried that --- she wasnt dropping berries. i havent seen her poop all day.

Will try again though. Tomorrow I am gone all day 9am-11pm

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, she was still a crazy thing when in heat! lol

Hmm... she looks a lot like when Sugar was sick. She was all hunched up and poofy too.
    I never could figure out what was wrong with her but I gave her entero antitoxin, biomycin and albon. It took a while for everything to kick in, but she did get better.

If you take her around to the other side of your house where she can't see the other goats I bet she will lay some berries for you.

Give her a hug and kiss for me!

14. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    This sounds exactly what I have been dealing with...... If I were you since she isent pooping, I get some gloves on and go get berries, I know it sounds awful but I would rather make them a it uncomfortable and figure out the problem then wait till they are down. Interesting, sounds just like my issues. good luck!!

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well it is pitch dark and I think we are getting ready to eat dinner. Will try after dinner tonight.

Rachel I was thinking the same thing -- that I rather know then wait till later.

whenever I have needed a stool sample NEVER have the goats pooed when I was around. :GAAH:

16. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Stacey - I'd check back when you wormed her last. If it's been 2 months or longer, just go ahead and worm her. I know fecals are good, but in the meantime, you can get the worming done. If you had rainy yucky weather like us here in PA, I've got muddy paddocks right now - the best time for worms to multiply. I seldom do a fecal - I just try to keep on top of their worming schedule or by their appearance. Too dark to probably check gums and eyelids right now - unless you have better lighting than I do...

17. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    I'm with RunAround here. I had a doe look JUST like that at our first weather change this year. I threw the book at her - LA200, C/D antitox, ProBios, B Complex and a course of cocci treatment (14 days). She looked better 12 hrs after the first antibiotic injection...and was fully recovered in 2 days.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well thats teh thing I dont want to throw jsut anythign at her.

I did check her eyelids -- they are pink as they have been for the past few months. :shrug: I have been keeping an eye on them

oh one thing that did change, just thought of this. last weekend we took down quite a few trees. I have been giving them the pine tree limbs. I didnt want to be lying thought i know they didnt have a thing to do with her acting strange yesterday.

we just finnished dinner so I will check on her soon, I am "hiding" from my mom as it is to type this, so I best get out and unload the dishwasher before she yells for me :oops:

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey, I really wish I could offer some help here.....the only thing I can say is this...2 months ago, Tilly was all puffed out and hunched up, I was worried because we did have a chilly day then and I thought the worst, she was also due to come into heat the next day, I gave her some nutri drench and got some BS into her....she had a bout of "soft poo" not runny, the next day she was back to normal...in raging heat screaming and flagging....wether the hormones had anything to do with it IDK or even the fact that she had ALOT of green stuff the day before...as I said, I wish I could be of more help, and I don't blame you for not wanting to put alot of things into her system without knowing for sure what's wrong. :hug:

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I understand not wanting to give her antibiotics and everything. Just saying my experience.

I 'm sure the Pine isn't whats bothering her. Mine eat pine trees all the time! Can't get enough of them. She ate plenty of them here without issues.