Gimp Goat has gone rock hard in gimp leg

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by BriAnna Rose Swanson, Jan 10, 2020.

1. BriAnna Rose Swanson

BriAnna Rose Swanson New Member

Nov 12, 2019
    Corvallis MT
    We have a little gimpy guy here on our ranch, Thomas, who has a contracted tendon in his left hind leg. Its never been used to walk but he has always had mobility and other functions in that leg. We just trimmed their hooves last week and I can tell you, there is literally nothing different about that leg except its held in the air instead of being used to walk. Yesterday, I went to feed and noticed something off about the leg. A patch of hair is falling out, his hoof and callus are rock hard, there is no mobility in any joints, and it's almost like his muscle was replaced with more bone. It was hard as a board of wood. Today it looked and felt the same, I gave him some Selenium and Vit E and Probios and haven't seen any change yet. Research has been no help when looking for stiff leg problems in goats, as everything comes back about fainting goats, ugh. Please help. Could it be WMD? I really have no other ideas. He is my little gimpy guy, the only one that lets me give him loves. He needs to be okay.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you consulted a vet? Or a veterinary college?

3. BriAnna Rose Swanson

Nov 12, 2019
    Corvallis MT
    Unfortunately, I haven't been free until just now to even sit half undistracted at the computer. I'm waiting for my husband to get home so that I can go out and check on him (We have 2-year-old special needs boys at home). I'm waiting to call the vet line until I can be outside with him. Do you think it would be okay to call the emergency line for this instance?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would have a vet look at him, sounds very strange.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That is up to you if you want to call. If they have Sat hours, you may want to call then. But it really depends on if his leg is the same or worse.

6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How old is this goat?

7. BriAnna Rose Swanson

Nov 12, 2019
    Corvallis MT
    He is about a year, I've called two vets, one of them didn't answer, the other doesn't have an on-call for livestock right now. So just waiting to hear back. I don't think its WMD anymore since it doesn't seem to be progressing farther than his hip. I can't really tell if he's stiff walking or if maybe I've just never noticed it before.