The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
809 Posts
OH congrats Chelsey!!!!!!!! THEY ARE GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Did the buckskin get anything to eat?? You need to get her fed ASAP. Sometimes they are "dummys" and take forever to learn how to suck... I can never figure that one out :scratch: . If she won't suck, do you have a tuber? Also, are you doing CAE prevention or can you get her to suck on mom? If she still hasn't eaten and you don't have a tuber or can't get her to suck on mom in an hour or two something has to happen. You may want to call the vet and see if they have a lamb tuber or something.

She really needs some colostrum.

· Registered
809 Posts
And now she is not energetic? Hmm. Well at least she got some food, that is good!

Ok here are some tricks:

You have to be really patient and try to keep getting her to suck, keep putting the bottle in her mouth. Try to have her standing up and use your fingers and tickle her around her tail. That is something that their mothers do (lick them back there) and on some kids it really works.

Just keep trying. As long as she ate quite a bit she is OK for now.

· Registered
809 Posts
Sounds good. Yeah sometimes they just do that.. I can never figure it out. Last year when my Harmony kidded her kids were :angry: extremely stupid. They were with their mother, would not eat, and I had to TUBE them because they wouldn't suck on a bottle for a WEEK!! :doh: They were super energetic the whole time and would run away from me (because they knew I was coming to shove that tube down their throats! Haha) but I knew they weren't eating because their bellies were empty and Harmony's udder was super full. Although they were half saanens... :ROFL:
So yeah I think sometimes they are just "dummys" for a little while. I am sure she will start sucking soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.