Ginger's Big Boy & Thank You Liz!!!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by BeeLady, May 4, 2009.

1. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Well, Ginger gave birth to a single, huge buck. She really seemed to have a hard time and made little progress 45 minutes after her water broke. Rather than panic and dive in, I called a couple of numbers on the emergency number list and reached Liz. One picture is about 10 minutes before Ginger's water broke.

What a great birth coach! This buck was quite big for Ginger and Liz advised me to see if I could help stretch the doe externally some by rubbing with KY jelly or whatever. When I began the membrane came out a bit more but still such a struggle. With Liz's go ahead, I broke the membrane and saw the huge mouth and nose but no hooves. Liz walked me through reaching in and getting the hooves out at which point this little guy popped half-way out. Another contraction later, he was on the ground trying to get up!

He nursed almost right away. The doe stayed down and I finally got her up about 20 minutes later as I didn't want any paralysis to set in and to confirm there was no paralysis. Anyway, doe is fine, gobbled down some Nutridrench and is out getting the buckling picture perfect.

This ends my kidding season and now on to keeping these babies and their dams healthy!

Again, thanks Liz and the Goat Spot. I really think we would have lost the doe or the buckling or both without the help!

2. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    :cool: Great job and nice looking boy! :thumb:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Lauren -

I just saw this and am soooo glad that you were able to get ahold of Liz and everything is alright.

I saw the post and grabbed my phone - I looked and you had called and I didn't even hear it. I am soooo sorry :oops: Please forgive me.

I am so glad that mom and kid are doing well.
  4. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Allison, there's no blame and no need to apologize. Everything worked out just fine and I appreciate everyone who is willing to help at a moment's notice!

I'm sure you would have gotten us through it just as well!

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :clap: yay! congrats fof a safe delivery!!

boy or girl?
  6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    congrats on the boy.
  7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WOW! He is a big boy, and no problem! I'm just glad I was able to "coach" you.... a goat birth really isn't unlike a cow birth, just a smaller critter. He sure is a very pretty color and I am so glad that Ginger is recovering, she worked very hard! :hug: Deep breath, all turned out well and you have increased your herd by 3 in just 2 days! :leap:
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats ...........he is very cute.......what an ordeal glad... it was a very happy outcome.... :love: :greengrin:
  9. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    He IS big! Congratulations!! :boy: :stars: Glad everything worked out all right! What a beautiful little guy, too!
  10. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    So beautiful -- or maybe i should say so handsome. Love the color. :love: I'm a real pushover for caramel/gold goaties.

Congrats on the wonderful success. :stars:

11. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Congrats on the buckling!! He is really pretty!

Yay Liz!!