The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here is a question floating around in my head...
I am curious if anyone in America has a source for Girgentana (Italian spiral horned goats) or semen from them. I love the look of the breed and those horns and would love to have that in my yard.

I have also located a couple sources for Markhor semen, and was considering having my girls A.I.'d with it. Has anyone done such a thing, and if so what kind of results? The Spiral horns are part of it, but also the purported size of them (as I am going to be packing in very steep terrain, and I am hopeful that the genetics will help keep the hardy and athletic nature (I have had a "Dud" recently who would much prefer to have me carry him than do anything even remotely athletic...and so the wild genes appeal a little bit more to me (as I know even wild goats, bottle raised, become exceptionally tame and trusting.

Obviously it's an experiment, but I was just curious if anyone here has experience with such a thing?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's lame, how does that work? It just seems silly. What is the reasoning behind that?

...I have a source for Markhor semen, I guess that is going to be the direction then.

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
The government is worried about diseases being brought in. So the borders are closed to bringing livestock in.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get the need to prevent diseases, but frozen semen? I mean it is FROZEN (I would think the liquid nitro would kill most infectious diseases in that) and its not like you can catch the plague from frozen semen. That just seems ridiculous.

And I used to ship my horse ad dogs internationally, I knows my people still do, so there must be exceptions to it. I mean if I can buy and ship a horse or Antelope from South Africa, it shouldn't be a massive issue to bring a goat or two from Italy.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
No, freezing does not necessarily kill diseases - stop and think about it. How does the CDC and all of the military labs preserve all the nasty germs? By freezing them. ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, but honestly what infectious disease comes from frozen semen?

It's not like you get Rosemary's baby by using frozen seen from Italy instead of Ohio.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
If the freezing doesn't kill the living semen cell..........

Semen is a really good food for all kinds of ick!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do not misunderstand me, I completely believe in bio security and all. HOWEVER, it's NOT like ALL the goats in Europe (and the rest of the world) are sickly and dying from the plague or are just oozing forth some form of festering pestulance.

Goats in the country side THERE, are very much like the ones we have HERE, except that they are OVER THERE. Having been there and seen happy and healthy animals in various other parts of the world with my own eyes, I just feel its incredibly myopic. I am sure there are a few diseases we don't have here, and I am sure the same can be said in reverse.

But saying we can't ship even reproductive material to utilize the genetic material over there seems completely asinine to me with all the rage we have here over Boers (from South Africa) or Kikos from New Zealand.

It is like saying: you have these basic crayons, I know you have seen the really cool metallic colors they have in the room across the hall. Well you can't have them, because we are afraid of the zombie Apocolypse!

Don't get me wrong, I do by want my herd contracting some accelerated form of goat Ebola from a vial of semen. But honestly,I do not think my friends with goats over there are super excited to ship out semen from sickly or plague sticken animals. And because I don't think there is this massive underground movement to spread goat plague amongs all non-Americans. I think it's pretty ridiculous.

I mean YES, the world could actually end and the frozen semen could kill everything everywhere... But really how silly is that idea?

"I know what I want, and I not so scared of loosing somerjinf it that I'm not going to try to have it!" I mean I want it ALL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts