Girls driving me NUTS!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Aug 10, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Okay, I usually can tell who's in heat by their signs and now they are absolutely driving me mad! Bootsie has a quiet constant "maaa" and will go stand by the buck fence and flag, squat and will hunch her belly sideways....which she has done today. Tilly flags and screams her head off and she did this 2 weeks ago.....now Binky has always been(since I've had her) sneaky and quiet...Today she was trying to mount Heidi the 6 month old doeling and she was really being aggressive with Angel, she had discharge a week ago...not alot but it was there....she's the one I am taking to have bred by an outside buck....she is making me crazy because I really need to time this right, GRRR! Angel flags and cries and gets even more lovey and ALWAYS wants my attention and will beat the fence to get my attention, she also had a bit of "crusties" 6 days ago, the 6 month old went into her first heat at 3MONTHS and just stands and cries flagging her tail.....Binky, Angel and Heidi have all been stretching out like bucks do when they pee, I've not noticed them doing this before and it has me puzzled. Also, the boys, ESPECIALLY Hank will not leave the fence when the girls are in heat, Chief and Teddy, being younger are always ready so I can't go by them LOL.....Well Hank has been more interested in browsing than "being bucky" :?

After reading my ramblings( sorry bout that) what do you think?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I think it's really noisy at your place :ROFL: We have the same noise issue....We have a bunch of does so when they come into season,,,it just takes one maaaaaaaa, to set the whole herd off! Oh gosh, it gets really annoying! The only time they're quiet is when we put a brand new bale of hay in their pen, but still the noise will come up again once everyone if full. Does in season can be very annoying, but hey, at least you'll be able to know when the kids are due, hopefully! :D

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    It does sound VERY noisy at your place. That is always frustrating when the does' all have different ways of expressing their "emotions". :) Are you wanting to breed them now or later on? If you want to breed them now, then I would just see what the doe does when the buck is able to actually breed her. I'm not so sure about Angel, that is always frustrating when you have to get the does cycle just right. I have to do that with a couple does this year and started counting their cycles last month. . . . hopefully all goes well. :) Sorry I'm not much help. . . . I'm sure someone else will have some more helpful advice.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like they are all getting ready for breeding season. I never go by the "first" heats in August or September but more by he heats in september and october. To me it is more irregular and they are all acting upon the others heats.

When do you want to breed Binky?

Last year I couldnt tell who was in heat when because they all were in heat within 2 weeks of one another. It was crazy because the ones in heat were mounting the ones getting ready to go into heat and then when they were in heat they were being mounted by the ones just out of heat :hair:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I was wanting to get Binky bred in mid October...this way I'm not freezing my butt off waiting for kids..less chance of cold weather in mid March than in January or February!

Bootsie and Tilly are not ever going to be bred..Bootsie is too old in my opinion, 8 years, and Tilly prolapsed and had a kid with a birth defect type issue...don't want to chance it with her though she is just 5 years.

Angel, I want to breed in October also....but it's gonna be my jr. buck Teddy this time for her and a planned pregnancy with her will be great too...unlike last time!
    Heidi will be waiting til next fall for breeding provided the soft spot on her belly closes in the next year, if not :shrug:

So even though I'll just have the 2 does to milk next year, and it's really sad for me to not have My Bootsie freshen again...she is such an easy milker and did pass that on to Tilly, I hope to have Heidi be able to do the same for me....though now I'll be feeding pets and Hank isn't getting used unless I can get another pygmy doe...which I really need to watch my numbers...I don't want unhealthy goaties because of over crowding and next spring when those babies arrive, I already have a "prevention plan" in the works as far as the dreaded coccida is concerned.

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Well at least yours are doing something. My bucks aren't blubbering or anything and not one of my does is flagging or calling for heat. Nothing. Haven't seen anything in a few months now. I'm about ready for some signs that breeding season is steadily approaching.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Same here, my Cashmere does are just hanging out, though the bucks are starting to do their "thing" just a little though, not really sinky yet.

I think I'll wait till November for them, like I did last year. That puts the due dates in March. I hope it's as nice as this March was, two of the girls kidded in the "yard" because it was so nice, during the day! (thanks Hallie and Margie). :)