The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my girls out in a new section of pasture today. I always like to see their joy and top speed eating habits as they dig into a new place. I really messed them up by pasturing them on the other side of the property from where they've been all year up to this point.
Sunday proudly led the baby herd off down the road, in the direction we always go. "Come on, kids! Let's go munch on the red bud trees! I know the way!"
I wrangled the three adult does on a lead line. Josie dug in her heels and glared at me. "You crazy woman! Why are we going back toward the barn? We've already BEEN milked!"
Little Beaut, Josie's kid, was torn between her allegiance to her friends and her need to stay with mom. She stood in the middle, between the two opposing parties, and hollered.
We eventually got lined out, and I think everyone is happy now, over their heads in yummy weeds.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
They always crack me up when they do that after being in a habit. The last two weeks I have been trying to get my girls adjusted to the new field. Took them over to the horse pasture and the small apple orchard. We had a huge late frost that took out the apple crop so I was going to let them do some pruning for me. They follow me out but when I try to leave then they run back towards the barn everytime.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They always crack me up when they do that after being in a habit. The last two weeks I have been trying to get my girls adjusted to the new field. Took them over to the horse pasture and the small apple orchard. We had a huge late frost that took out the apple crop so I was going to let them do some pruning for me. They follow me out but when I try to leave then they run back towards the barn everytime.
I hate that you lost your apples! It is funny that goats sometimes act like you're torturing them when all you're trying to do is give them something to eat. I've been training some of my goats for about 3 years now, and it's taken that long for some of them to decide they were ok out in the pasture.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look at those floppy-eared happy goats! So cute. It’s funny when they put up a fuss because it’s not routine then end up doing something that makes them so happy. It’s just like children.
They are very human sometimes...with those big, stubborn attitudes. They think they know what's best. I bet you've already started running into some of that with your kids.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
They are very human sometimes...with those big, stubborn attitudes. They think they know what's best. I bet you've already started running into some of that with your kids.
You’d win that bet.
Goats are such characters. If I would have known what personalities they had, I would have gotten them years ago.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please ignore my spotty skin. I've had the chickenpox. The doelings looked like they were posing for one of those teenage girl selfie groupings, so I figured I'd oblige them with a selfie. :)

Hair Head Tree Happy Smile

I opened up a fairly large woodlot area for the girls. There haven't been any goats in here since the boys overwintered here, so there's quite a bit to eat. I figured I'd better walk out there and make sure the fence was still functional...plus, it was good morning for a pre-breakfast walk in the woods. The goats are really going after the spicebush, and the woods smell heavenly!

Pippi, in a golden glow

And I found a Luna moth

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Woops! Never responded to the comments here! Thanks, everyone, and I'm glad you're enjoying the photos.
I've been rotating the girls every 4 - 7 days, so they don't over graze the areas they're in. Also trying to keep them as far from the boys as possible, to minimize the risk of accidental breedings.

Little goats on the Prairie.

Pippi enjoys the greenery

1 - 20 of 84 Posts